X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event Hosting Tips

T I P S

Hosting a large-scale event is more difficult than it seems. Common problems that arise include: dropping out, cheating, late prizes, and lack of motivation. Here are a few tips you should take into consideration before posting your event thread:

Plan beforehand. Before posting your thread, make sure it's visually appealing, organized, concise, and informative. Have most of your missions/tasks written out.

Don't make it too time consuming. If your focus is spamming (fps, exp, etc.), expect most of your participants to drop out within the first week. End the event within a month unless your price is HUGE; keeping people motivated longer than that will be difficult. Give at least 2-3 days to complete each mission. Don't drag out registration either. Keep the registration period around 1-2 weeks, or participants will stop checking your thread and won't be on top of things when the event actually begins.

Keep the competition close. Close scores => competition => motivation. Don't make your event too easy or too hard. Have a maximum number of points attainable for each task. If needed, plan a (fair) tiebreaker.

Make it fair. Certain players may have advantages such as: being a pro, being an amazing artist, having tons of free time, being in your time zone, etc. Don't make it too skill-based if you're looking for a lot of participants. Examples of non skill-based missions include: puzzles, forum hunts, anagrams, drawings, and writing. Take other time zones into consideration. If you're using NPCs, make sure they're online at reasonable times for players who live in other countries OR create a time schedule.

Know your event. You (and any co-hosts) should be able to answer every question with clarity and confidence. If you lose track of scores or are unfamiliar with your own deadlines/rules, you'll lose credibility as a host & people will lose interest in your event.

Minimize change. You have no obligation to change rules/prizes/missions just because a few participants complain. If you're constantly making changes to your event, participants are going to get tired of keeping up.

Have the prizes ready before you begin the event. (& Don't use it.) You never know what emergencies might arise later on that prevent you from purchasing cash or attaining the prizes.

Keep your event page clean and simple, yet visually appealing. Minimize text. If there's too much to read or if the design/fonts/colors make the page look cluttered, no one's going to bother to read it. Emphasize key phrases by bolding/underlining/coloring certain parts of the text.

Enforce your rules. If you allow even one exception, others will demand the same later on.

Don't make too much work for yourself. If there's a lot to do, designate certain tasks to co-hosts. If you have to look through hundreds of screenshots on your own, you'll get tired of hosting your event. And if you're tired of your event, your participants will most likely be tired of it as well.

Update regularly. If you update scores regularly, participants will see the persisting competition and be motivated to do better. Update your Current Mission, Mission Index, FAQ, etc. frequently as well.

Be reachable. Check forums and empty your inbox regularly. Answer questions ASAP; no one likes waiting.

Make it unique. Have a fun storyline, include videos/pictures, etc. It'll help get people interested and keep them interested.
    Last edited by Yuna; 04-15-2013, 09:23 PM.

O U T L I N E

A list of things you should include in the first page of your event thread:

✔ Title
    ✔ Host
    ✔ Current mission
    ✔ Mechanics
    ✔ Rules
    ✔ Prizes
    ✔ Dates
    ✔ Mission index
    ✔ Scores/Top 3
    ✔ Signup form
    ✔ Signups
    ✔ FAQ
    ✔ Reserved post

D E S I G N

Important elements to consider while designing your thread:

[ QUOTE ] [ /QUOTE ] & [ CODE ] [ /CODE ]. Use quote and code boxes to separate or make certain sections stand out.

Color. Use a maximum of 3 different colors, and don't use bright or illegible colors like yellow or neon green.

Font. Use a maximum of 3 different fonts. Have a balance of serif & sans serif fonts. Use a more flashy font like Impact, Arial Black, or Courier New for section headers.

[ INDENT ] [ /INDENT ]. Use this to indent your text. Space is crucial; it allows the reader to transition from one section to the next and prevents your thread from becoming just one, giant block of text.

Visuals. This includes photos, pictures, videos, banners, typography, etc. Include a few of these in your thread to make it more visually appealing and also to prevent it from looking like a block of text.

Symbols. Browse symbols here. Use (simple) symbols as bullet points or simply to enhance the aesthetic appeal of the thread.

Italics, bold, underline. Self-explanatory; use for emphasis.

E X A M P L E S

Here are some past events for reference. None are perfect

Love Never Dies
    Perfectionists
    Signature of the Month
    Audition's Best Dance Crew
    Are you Guitartastic?
    Secret Valentine
    The Amazing Audition Race!
    12 Days of Christmas
    Audition Olympics 2012
    Glory's 2 Year Anniversary Event
    Survivor

Feel free to make more suggestions, and good luck!
    Last edited by Yuna; 04-16-2013, 05:36 PM.

Comment

R E S E R V E D

Insert text here

Last edited by Yuna; 04-16-2013, 05:36 PM.

Comment

I'm slightly offended. If you're doing this because of my event, then well `-`...

I feel like you think I didn't organize my stuff as well as it "should be" or something, or as if I don't know anything.

Anyways, good guide .
        Last edited by ~Kuro; 04-15-2013, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Wow Very nice thread, super useful!!
          sigpic
          IGN: Inchworm | FAM: Serene
          IGN: -Exquisite | CPL: Medley

Comment

Originally posted by ~Kuro View Post
            If you're doing this because of what's happening in my event, then well `-`... I feel like you think I didn't organize my stuff as well as it "should be" or something.

Anyways, good guide .
            I posted it because a LOT of event hosts (including me) have been facing similar problems recently--not just you.

I'm slightly offended. If you're doing this because of my event, then well `-`...

I feel like you think I didn't organize my stuff as well as it "should be" or something, or as if I don't know anything.

Anyways, good guide .
            @ edits: I don't mean any offense whatsoever.
            Last edited by Yuna; 04-15-2013, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuna View Post
              I posted it because a LOT of event hosts (including me) have been facing similar problems recently--not just you.
              But why now? To be honest, I find it rather weird that you're doing this right after you posted something in my thread. I don't really care if you do it before or later, it's just that I feel like my event is what instigated you to do this atm and I'm slightly offended. That's just me though, I have nothing against you, so sorry if it seems like I do `-`.

Comment

But why now? To be honest, I find it rather weird that you're doing this right after you posted something in my thread. I don't really care if you do it before or later, it's just that I feel like my event is what instigated you to do this atm and I'm slightly offended. That's just me though, I have nothing against you, so sorry if it seems like I do `-`.
                Once again, it's not your event specifically that motivated me to make this thread. I don't see why I should wait to post the thread simply to not offend certain event hosts. But I do understand why you might take offense, and I apologize.

Comment

^ probably cuz the re-instating Slender & Butterfly effects which have been active for a long time

@Yuna are those examples of good events?

sigpic

Comment

lol yuna

Comment

Originally posted by Likoriona View Post
                      ^ probably cuz the re-instating Slender & Butterfly effects which have been active for a long time

@Yuna are those examples of good events?
                      No this thread isn't directed to any specific events.

& Nope; none of these are "perfect." They're just examples.

Originally posted by --No View Post
                      lol yuna
                      hi

Comment

Originally posted by Yuna View Post
                        Once again, it's not your event specifically that motivated me to make this thread. I don't see why I should wait to post the thread simply to not offend certain event hosts. But I do understand why you might take offense, and I apologize.
                        ok .

Comment

I was expecting something like this to be made sooner or later, a lot of the events I've been reading def needed a guide tbh. If you really think the timing is coincidental then maybe you're thinking about it too hard, bad events have been hosted plenty of times before The Fat Games was even created. & I only skimmed the Fat Games, I have no idea what the participants in it are doing.

Nice thread Yuna \o/ I haven't read it yet tbh only skim so if anyone has additional tips would you consider adding them?
                          Jinx | Lindt | Piggy

Comment

These are more like tips, rather than a guide. The person hosting the event can do whatever they please, as long as they provide a prize to the winner.
                            my baby mary

Comment

Originally posted by HiThar(: View Post
                              I was expecting something like this to be made sooner or later, a lot of the events I've been reading def needed a guide tbh. If you really think the timing is coincidental then maybe you're thinking about it too hard, bad events have been hosted plenty of times before The Fat Games was even created. & I only skimmed the Fat Games, I have no idea what the participants in it are doing.

Nice thread Yuna \o/ I haven't read it yet tbh only skim so if anyone has additional tips would you consider adding them?
                              Yup!

Originally posted by TheRandomKid View Post
                              These are more like tips, rather than a guide. The person hosting the event can do whatever they please, as long as they provide a prize to the winner.
                              Lol tips, guide, w/e.

& Ofc. This is just advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X