BeatUp Research Thread [2014 Edition]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeatUp Research Thread [2014 Edition]

This thread will be used to discuss information and strategies related to BeatUp mode and possible ways to improve your game for all skill levels. It will be updated regularly as any new tips and tricks are discovered. I hope that it will also get more new players more interested about my favourite mode in Audition.

Topics

1. BU Strategies

- playing styles
    - the sound glitch
    - the paper strat
    - flipperino

2. Computer Hardware & Settings

- monitor refresh rate
    - graphics card settings
    - input delay
    - lag reduction

3. BU Training Tools

- BUC
    - other programs
    - pro tips

4. Redbana BU Hall of Fame

- requirements to qualify
    - list of inductees

Last edited by mk_; 10-03-2014, 02:00 AM.

The Sound Glitch

I'll start this section by talking about the "sound glitch". I'm actually the one who first discovered it and believe I'm the only person who currently uses it, although I never explained in too much detail how it works until now. This is a method that can be used to play BeatUp without music, so you will only hear the sound effects or "claps" of the perfects that usually follow a consistent rhythm. All you need is any USB headset to glitch the sound and it should work on any computer. I've tested this glitch on at least 3 different computers with several different USB headphones and never had a problem getting it to work. There are both advantages and disadvantages to playing without music, which means that deciding to use the sound glitch or not will ultimately boil down to personal preference, similar to choosing a playing style.

Advantages of playing without music:

- Off beat songs will not seem on beat to you. However, there is a difference between an off beat song and an off beat chart. If the BU chart itself is inconsistent and makes no sense, then it will still seem off beat even without music. If the chart is on beat but doesn't follow the correct rhythm of the song, then you will be at a huge advantage playing without music. Example: The song "World's End" was really beneficial to play without music. I'm sure there are a few more current off beat songs in game but I can' really think of any at the moment. Nowadays, we are fed mostly off beat charts instead.

- No music may be less distracting and thus easier to focus solely on perfing.

Disadvantages of playing without music:

-
    Particularly on songs you've never played before, there is no way to tell what is coming next. Example: Music tempo slowly increasing or intensifying is usually a strong indication of a wave coming. Without music, you will not be prepared for it. (This could actually be argued as an advantage as well, since sometimes being prepared for a hard wave is actually worse than reacting on instinct, which is one of the reasons why paper strats are effective)

- In some of the more difficult BU charts such as "Cuckoo Clock" or "With You", it may be more difficult to find the correct rhythm without the aid of music.

How to perform the sound glitch:

1. Turn on Audition

2. While you are in a lobby or game room, plug a USB Headset into your computer and quickly remove it after half a second. It may work the first time or take several tries, but eventually you will no longer be able to hear the in game background music.

3. Move your mouse around to verify that you can still hear sound effects in game.

4. Start playing BU

You will need to follow these simple steps every time you log in.

Here is a video demonstration showing how it works:

Nemesis - Hello Disaster 19 (no music)

Last edited by mk_; 10-04-2014, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Paper Strats

The latest discovery, at least for the Redbana BU community is the use of paper to cover up parts of the bar in BeatUp. This has a similar effect of adding a second "enter chance". It may seem like this is making the game more difficult, but many players including myself have had great results using this strategy. It is particularly useful on slow songs and not recommended to use for songs over 130bpm, since faster songs don't provide enough reaction time for this strategy to be effective.

The main benefit of paper strats is that it makes patterns a lot less confusing. For example, on a song like U Know there are many tricky parts and complicated waves that make it hard to understand the rhythm or which arrows come first. You may panic and press arrows too early and miss as a result, or get several greats, cools, and bads. But covering up the bar simplifies things a lot so you only have to focus on a few arrows at a time, and the beat becomes much easier to follow. Furthermore, your eyes are forced to focus on a smaller section of your monitor, which helps you line up the arrows and perf easier as well. The only real downside of using paper, (besides the fact it can be annoying to tape paper to your monitor every time you play a slow song, or the inability to read chat in game due to it being covered by paper) is that after playing a long time using this method, it will take a few games to adapt to playing without it. (When you remove the paper, it will feel like you are playing without enter chance for a few games, thus perfing is extremely difficult)

How much of the bar you cover depends on the speed of the song. For very slow songs, ie: 90bpm, you want to cover a larger portion of the bar than you do on a 120bpm song. You want to see as few arrows on your screen as possible, but also give yourself enough time to react to them. Below is a general idea of how much of the bar to cover at certain bpms. (Yes, even covering a tiny bit of the bar on a 128bpm song does improve my results in most cases.) Using darker paper is recommended to ensure that you won't be able to see through it.

Here is a video of N3TwoRk getting U Know 6 using paper strats

Last edited by mk_; 10-09-2014, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Mechanical Keyboards

In this post, I will talk about the different mechanical keyboard switches available and information on how they affect Beat-Up.
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        F.A.Q

Most of you that don't know what a mechanical keyboard is, a mechanical keyboard is a keyboard that has switches under the keys.Membrane keyboards are completely different from mechanical keyboards because they don't have the switches like a mechanical keyboard. Instead, membrane keyboard relies on a rubber/silicon poly "switch" that makes contact with the circuit board beneath it. Mechanical keyboards may cost more because of the higher-quality switches they use compared to the membrane keyboards.

Q. So what does a mechanical keyboard have to do with Beat-Up?

A. Mechanical keyboards can help a lot with your Beat-Up game. Actuation force is the amount of force required to complete the contact switching action(amount of force to activate the key the user presses). The actuation force of a normal keyboard, which is a membrane keyboard is around 65grams~80grams. Compared to mechanical keyboards, the actuation force can vary from 45grams~60grams depending on the switch you pick.

Q. Can't I just use a normal keyboard?

A.Yes! Of course you can just use a normal keyboard for Beat-Up, most of us start off with a simple keyboard but if you want to take your Beat-Up game to the next level, maybe investing in a mechanical keyboard will really help you improve a lot.

Q. How does a mechanical keyboard help with Beat-Up?

A. When it comes to more difficult Beat-Up charts where there are waves and triple/double taps, a mechanical keyboard will definitely help A LOTsince the actuation force for the switches is a lot less than normal keys, so you can press the keys a lot faster, whereas keyboards that have higher actuation force (65g~80g), the keys will have a heavier key press compared to mechanical keyboard switches.

Q. Do I need a mechanical keyboard to be good at Beat-Up?

A. Of course not. There are players who don't use mechanical keyboards and are still good at Beat-Up. However, a lot of Beat-Up addicts invest in mechanical keyboards because they are really helpful and don't require as much actuation force as membrane keyboards.
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        The 4 Types of Mechanical Keyboard Switches
        (These are the 4 most common mechanical switches. Others include Green and Clear, but I'll be giving brief information about the 4 most common which are red, blue, black and brown.)

Red Cherry MX Switch

Red Cherry MX Switch has an actuation force of only 45grams, which is the lowest actuation force available currently. They do not have the clicky sound like the Blue switches have and are very soft to press.

Blue Cherry MX Switch

Blue Cherry MX Switch has an actuation force of 60 grams. They have a clicky sound when pressed and are considered loud keyboards. The blue and brown switch are mostly made for typists but can also be used for gaming, with blue switches having the clicky sound, and brown switches doesn't.

Black Cherry MX Switch

Black Cherry MX Switch has an actuation force of 60 grams. They do not have the clicky sound and were originally the gaming switch with the lowest actuation force until red was available with 45 grams.

Brown Cherry MX Switch
        Brown Cherry MX Switch has an actuation force of 55grams. They do not have the clicky sound and are somewhat between a typist and gaming keyboard.

Here is a link to a great video about the different color switches. (Yes, there are 6 switches in the video but red, blue, black and brown are the 4 most common mechanical switch available.)

Besides Cherry MX Switches, Razer made their own mechanical switches which are "razer" exclusive green and orange switches.

Originally posted by Leebyn View Post
        Good point, Razer switches are rebranded Kailh switches (made by Kaihua in China). Razer Green is similar to the Cherry MX Blue (or Kailh Blue) but with a higher actuation point, and Razer Orange is similar to the Cherry MX Brown (or Kailh Brown) also with a higher actuation point iirc.
        The Razer switches are already in use on their 2014 versions of the Blackwidow/Ultimate/Stealth and Tournament Editions and will probably be the switches that they will use on their mech. boards from here on out (including Blackwidow Chroma). If you want a Cherry MX switch Razer keyboard, you'll have to look at 2013 version and earlier

(n.b. There are many other companies that are swapping their previously Cherry MX switches to Kailhs as well - good reference thread here)

This guide was made to give Beat-Up players a little information about the different variety of keyboards and switches available on mechanical keyboards. The 2 mechanical keyboards I own are a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 with the blue switch and Ducky Zero DK2108S which has the red switch. I personally much prefer the red switch because its very soft to press and it was definitely a lot easier to press than my BlackWidow keyboard with the blue switch. The red switch is very quiet and has the lowest actuation force available.

If you have any questions regarding mechanical keyboards, feel free to ask me and I will try my best to give you an answer. Though I've only owned a red switch and blue switch before so those 2 are the ones I'm most familiar with. But any other questions regarding mechanical keyboards and Beat-Up I'll be happy to answer!
        Last edited by .Misa; 02-09-2015, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Beat-Up Playing Style(s)
          2-Hand Style

This tutorial will teach you how to play Beat-Up with 2 hands. The tutorial is meant to help new Beat-Up players and give them an idea on what hand style works best for the player. If you have no idea how to play Beat-Up with 2 hands or have no idea how to position your fingers with 2 hands, this tutorial shall help you!

Here we have a lovely numpad that will be used to show you how to position your finger for 2 hand Beat-Up style.

Finger Style: 6 (3+3) +1 on 0

This position lets you have your finger on each of the arrows in Beat-Up.

Right Hand: Right index finger on 3, Right middle finger on 6, and Right ring finger on 9. Right thumb can be used to press delete chance.
          Left Hand: Left index finger on 1, Left middle finger on 4, and Left ring finger on 7. Left hand thumb on 0.
          Picture is an example on how it should be placed.

Here is a video example on how it would look like:

Some players don't use their left thumb on 0, instead they use their middle finger to press 5 for space. Try out whichever works best for you!
          Finger Style: 4 (2+2)

This position has your index and middle finger dancing around the keys.

Right Hand: Right index finger on 3/6, Right Middle finger 6/9. You can use your index or middle to press 5 for space, depending on which best works for you.
          Left Hand: Left Index finger on 1/4, Left Middle finger on 4/7. You can use your index or middle to press 5 for space, depending on which best works for you.
          Picture is an example on how it should be placed.

Here is a video on how it would look like:

This tutorial covers up mostly how 2-hand Beat-Up works. Hopefully this will help out new players that are interested in Beat-Up. 2-hand Beat-Up style may be difficult to learn at first but it works well for a lot of people. If you're just starting out Beat-Up, maybe this style of playing will work a lot better than 1-hand style.
          Last edited by .Misa; 02-09-2015, 04:08 AM.

Comment

I don't know if specific information is public yet, but there are new "razer" exclusive switches (Green and Orange) for the BW Chroma.
          Last edited by Vincent; 10-05-2014, 08:52 PM.
          4 bffeafepp

Comment

• .Misa
            .Misa commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for mentioning, I was aware of the razer exclusive switch but wanted to focus on the most common Cherry MX switches, since a lot of Beat-Up players with mechanical keyboards have the Cherry MX Switches. But I'll be sure to give a heads up on the green and orange razer exclusive switches too.

• Leebyn
            Leebyn commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point, Razer switches are rebranded Kailh switches (made by Kaihua in China). Razer Green is similar to the Cherry MX Blue (or Kailh Blue) but with a higher actuation point, and Razer Orange is similar to the Cherry MX Brown (or Kailh Brown) also with a higher actuation point iirc.
            The Razer switches are already in use on their 2014 versions of the Blackwidow/Ultimate/Stealth and Tournament Editions and will probably be the switches that they will use on their mech. boards from here on out (including Blackwidow Chroma). If you want a Cherry MX switch Razer keyboard, you'll have to look at 2013 version and earlier :)

(n.b. There are many other companies that are swapping their previously Cherry MX switches to Kailhs as well - good reference thread here)
            Last edited by Leebyn; 10-07-2014, 12:58 AM.

High Refresh Rate Monitors
          So fast, it Hertz.
          (not exactly the same as high frame rate)

This piece of hardware is probably one of the last things you'd want to purchase, as it's rather costly so unless you already have a high framerate and a 1000Hz or PS/2 keyboard you're happy with, it's likely more cost effective to upgrade something else. (You can still benefit from having a high refresh monitor if you like 3D or you play high motion action/first person shooter games.)

What are the benefits?

Most monitors out there are 60 Hz, meaning they'll update the image on the monitor 60 times per second. Yes! this is related to the common framerate 60 frames per second. Essentially, every frame displayed on the screen be there for ~17 milliseconds. When you turn v-sync off, the monitor will try to display all those extra frames beyond 60, but it will only update the picture 60 times per second. (The game itself will generate all those extra frames so you'll still get that inherent benefit even if it doesn't show on the display.)

By increasing the refresh rate of your monitor, to 75Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz or 165Hz. the monitor image is updated more frequently so you’ll have less “blur” when viewing objects moving across the screen. At 144Hz, the monitor image only stays there for ~7ms so you get a visual update much more often. At 165Hz, the image is there for ~6ms.

Another fun side effect is that the framerate will be equal to the refresh rate if you have vertical sync enabled, so you can get up to 144fps without forcing v-sync off. (So yes, it is possible to get 144 or 165 fps on Intel graphics in Redbana)

A high refresh rate coupled with a low latency means that all the movements and actions on the screen will appear to you instantaneously, this way you not only have audio cues from the music, but you also have a visual that matches it. This is helpful in Beat Up because of all the arrows moving across the screen. For higher bpm songs, it’s much less straining to see the arrows moving at high speed because of the blur reduction. You see actual arrows instead of green and blue arrow shaped blobs.

It'd probably also help with any other mode that has a strong visual cue (Beat Rush, Block Beat, Space Pang Pang I guess) but probably not so much in Normal modes (unless you tend to stare intently at the blinking ball light) or something like One Two Party.

You'll be able to notice this smoothness in pretty much everything. Moving windows around on your screen, and even the cursor movement will be super smooth. Playing fast paced action games also looks nicer.

What’s the catch?

It’s not necessary to have a high refresh rate monitor, since this is a rhythm game and you are meant to play along to the music rather than an image on your screen, but I can’t say that it doesn’t give you a little bit of an advantage to have a visual cue as well.

Also note that these high refresh rate monitors are all TN panels. Some higher end monitors now have IPS/PLS panels which deliver a much better picture quality in terms of color and contrast, but they also may come with a higher input latency (~10 instead of <4 ms) depending on the panel.

And yes, they are quite costly.

Buying a high refresh rate (144Hz/165Hz) monitor

You can get a 75 or 85 Hz monitor, but it doesn’t really give that much of a benefit especially because a lot of these monitors have older tech and can have a lot of blur.

Please note that some monitors have input limitations, you’ll likely need Dual Link DVI (DVI-DL) or Display port (DP 1.2) connections to your graphics card. Most modern GPUs will have these connections, and most of these monitors will come with a dual DVI or display port cable so use it!
          If you can only do HDMI or VGA, you’ll need a better graphics card to do higher refresh rates.

List of 144Hz monitors (prices in USD)

144Hzmonitors.com list
          120hzmonitors.com Gaming Monitor List - thanks kreolo
          Blur Busters 120Hz+ list

Old list in spoiler for archive purposes.

Caveat emptor

Some high refresh rate monitors like these Playstation ones are not real 240Hz, it only accepts 60Hz from a computer signal that gets interpolated to 240Hz. Don’t bother with these lol.

You can also get a high quality IPS/PLS panel on a Korean monitor (QNIX, Catleap, etc.) that will overclock to 80-120Hz, but please note that the IPS panel while having MUCH nice picture and color quality, they weren’t designed to update faster than 60Hz so you may get some extra blur. This of course will depend on the specific model.
          More information here: Blurbusters overclockable 120hz/1440p IPS monitors

Quick setup hints

When you get your monitor, make sure you are using the 144 Hz mode.

Use displayport cable or dual link DVI. The monitor will show an image and work fine with VGA or HDMI but you probably won't be able to get 144 Hz.

Make sure you select 144 Hz in your resolution settings.

Windows:

NVIDIA

Depending on your scaling options and sometimes with ATI Tray Tools, you might have to designate the refresh rate for 1024x768 specifically to 144 Hz, since that's the resolution of Audition. If you use NVIDIA and scale on your GPU, you don't have to worry about this :')

Helpful reference links:

Blurbusters

Logical Increments Peripherals Guide - Screen

My notes.

Extra topics to discuss::
          Lightboost
          G-Sync, what is the effect on Audition?

Things to edit later:
          CRT alternative
          Overclocking monitors
          References
          my awful formatting
          Last edited by Leebyn; 12-20-2015, 06:05 AM.

Leebyn Greentlover
          FB | Twitch | Tournament log | PM me about anything ^^

Comment

My apologies for not updating this thread in a while. Recently and over the years I've often been asked what it takes to becomes pro at bu. I was thinking about it today so I'll try to offer my best advice, even though some things were already explained in previous posts.

First of all, I'd assume just like in any other mode or game or hobby in general, there's no substitute for experience and dedication. I've often heard people use the old excuse, "my pc/fps isn't good enough for bu" when some players were explaining the reason why they don't play or suck at bu. I'm sure that 5 or 6 years ago when most average pc's probably weren't getting more than 90fps on audition, it was a more valid argument back then. However, any average gaming pc built since 2012 or so should be well enough equipped to play bu the way is was meant to be played. Let's say for example your average score on YAG is 180 greats. Unless you're still playing on a pentium iii in 2015, chances are that even if you swapped your pc for the best pc in the world specifically designed for beatup (aka Net's pc) you could keep playing that song for the rest of the day and probably still never sub 120. And if you really are still using a 5 year or more outdated pc to play beatup, it's hard to feel sorry for you about that as well. Stop being cheap and upgrade your **** already if you want better fps. Personally, I've not upgraded any of my pc components in more than four years aside from my 144Hz monitor that I purchased last month after I bought into the hype and wasn't disappointed. Not only did it help me shave off a few greats especially on faster bpm songs, but the difference in the general display seems very noticeable and much easier on my eyes compared to 60Hz. (Fine, if you really want to be picky then my headset may have been purchased in 2012 as well.) To compare your pc components or for an idea of what other bu players use to play, check out this spreadsheet created by Leebyn that details some pc specs and other info about bu players on various servers.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE SPREADSHEET

All of the elite players I know have been playing bu for at least 5 years. This includes network, leebyn, sicko, sunyoung, jungcutie, bloodlight, marcin, enigma, and myself just to name a few, whether it was mainly on redbana or another server. Obviously if you're gonna play for that long you need to enjoy the mode. So it's up to each player to decide how good or competitive they want to become and put in the effort accordingly. Like anything else some people do learn and improve more quickly than others. I've still never fc'ed Hands Up to this day for example even though I've played that song hundreds of times over the years. Just don't set unrealistic expectations for yourself and expect after a few months of playing bu that you'll start caking single digits on everything. A large part of the reason I've improved so slowly at waves (although I've improved a lot in recent months) is because I wasn't using proper techniques to study them. Such as learning multiple playing styles as Misa mentioned above that can make it easier for certain parts of a song or watching enough videos in slow motion to understand the waves better. I'd tend to just keep spamming the song more instead and as a result acquired some bad muscle memory on a lot of songs that makes me frequently miss on the same parts all the time. My advice to anyone struggling with a wave is to not worry about it too much and try another song. If you come back the next day and still have difficulty, the best way to learn that wave is to study it closely in my opinion before you attempt it again.

I've heard another reason that a lot of people don't play bu, or more specifically join the buc is because they're "intimidated" by all the pros posting insane scores in that thread. You have to start somewhere and look at VioletSkye for example. I remember the first time playing bu with her and her scores were similar to any other random person who was new to the mode. Then I started to see her in rooms playing bu by herself or with others almost every time I logged in after that. So it was obvious to me she had a passion for bu and was going to become good at it eventually. When someone mentioned the buc to her (maybe it was Sicko idk) she joined right away and didn't care what anyone else thought about her scores. We're just happy to see new players attempting the buc no matter what their skill level may be. There may have been a joke or two made privately about how much she cares about bu given her current skill but nobody doubted the fact that if she kept sticking with it she would improve quickly and now she has done just that, recently dropping many decent scores such as bom 85 and fresh 1x into the buc thread. A lot of people have improved since the last bu masters but I think nobody did more than VioletSkye and it's all because she didn't care what people thought of her skill when she was a beginner. Don't listen to the Kisamitsus of the world who think the bu community are a bunch of elitists who look down on others because of their lack of skill, while at the same time claiming a bunch of bogus scores they got in Nexon back in the days when Lepakko and DinoRocket were the true gods of bu. Sure, there may be some ego clashing from time to time but 95% of the time it's done in a friendly or joking manner for the sake of good ol' competition. Honestly, a lot of bu pros wont pay much attention to your scores unless they are somewhat decent anyway. So for anyone thinking about upgrading that baby x3 score from 300 greats to at least a "respectable" 220 before you post it in the buc, don't bother. Until you get at least double digits on that song, it may as well be baby x3 600 to most of us anyway.

For beginners I'd recommend starting out by just casually playing the songs you enjoy. As long as you're having fun you'll be slowly improving your skills naturally with experience. So whether you like easy songs that you can actually fc or you're a masochist who likes to spam With You all day, don't worry too much about your results at first. Test various playing styles and decide which one you're most comfortable with. After a few days or weeks of experience you might consider joining the buc as a tool to challenge yourself more and go for new personal records. Find someone close to your skill level and start a bu war with them. It's a good way to push yourself more and have fun at the same time.

Most of the bu community is very helpful if you have any questions about bu so feel free to ask us anything through a comment in this thread or otherwise.

Comment

• jungcutie
            jungcutie commented
            Editing a comment
            . . . D>\
            Last edited by jungcutie; 01-16-2015, 04:18 PM.

• jungcutie
            jungcutie commented
            Editing a comment
            , , ,, , , ,
            Last edited by jungcutie; 01-16-2015, 04:18 PM.

Excel Spreadsheet: A template to track/visualize your own BUC progress
          (especially helpful for people who are "intimidated" by the online Beat Up Challenge

Little Introduction to myself:

Hello everyone,
          my name is Hai and i've been playing here on Redbana for about 3-4 weeks (after taking a 6-7+ years break). I have decided to play Beat Up again (I haven't lost the passion its still a lot of fun) and i feel like i am improving already (made the switch from 1H to 2H).
          The first time i truly got in contact with the infamous Beat Up Challenge (BUC) was when Kisia told me about it and i thought it is a really cool idea.
          But to be honest, i haven't participated in it yet because...first, i want to get better to be able to prove myself (competition aspect?) and second, some sort of initimidation (wow surprise, like mk_ already assumed) but for no reason i guess. I've recently started to take screenshots of my plays in order to track SOMETHING.

Why should i use this spreadsheet over BUC?

When doing the BUC you usually progress as soon as you beat your own high score. It would tell me that i eventually got better and reached my next goal; but there is no track of the learning progress itself. I am more interested in how my progress over time looks like (steadily/consistent or a sudden spike/inconsistency?) than the goal (high score) itself .
          This should help me stay motivated throughout the game when little progress is visibile. Especially when i'll look back and see how i hopefully became better step for step!
          I know it takes a lot of time to maintain it BUT i love stats. Most likely more helpful for people who are not pro yet (more progress to see!).

Little notes about the spreadsheet:

- I created a template for 50 songs and00 plays per song.
          If you wish to expand it, just mark all cells of one song (from song title to the black bars) and drag it at the lower right corner.

- Score and Combo inputs are optional.

- BUC scores are standard (1x great, 2x cool, 5x bad, 10x miss)

- A lot of conditional color coding was used in order to help with the progress visualization. Less reds = You became more consistent! More greens = You are improving fast!

- Whenever the boundary (black white +- value) gets passed the cell colors itself green/red depending on the score you made above. It is possible to change the boundary value by editing the Conditional Formatting.

- Yellow scores are personal bests, grey scores are still within the boundary of the previous score (little improvement, more consistent).

- Be careful with copypasting values! The formatting could be overwritten if you do it wrong. The right way to copypaste is (Rightclick -> Copy -> Paste Special -> as "Values" without formatting)

- Spreadsheet could be easily used to draw diagrams/graphs (like number of perfs/greats throughout your playcounts).

- I recommend you to keep the spreadsheet locked most of the time. It is easy to screw something up...i did it a lot.

Screenshot

Download Link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gg932d4x9j...heet.xlsx?dl=0

Last edited by haifrosch; 02-04-2015, 01:23 PM. Reason: wording

Comment

• mk_
            mk_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Seems like a lot of work to keep track of your stats in every game. Id rather just go for a record score knowing that every time I get a record, I've also lowered my average greats on that particular song. Eventually those old records will become just average scores for me, thus improving my consistency as well. Going for records is also a lot more motivating in my opinion. Your spreadsheet isn't for me but thanks for the input anyway.

A very important part of a gaming experience is to have the right gaming monitor. But to find the right monitor for you within you budget can be challenging. I think you will find this comprehensive and new buyers guide helpful. http://www.monitornerds.com/gaming-m...144hz-monitor/

Comment

A gaming monitor should have a high refresh rate. You need to find one that fits your budget and needs. So yeah.. http://www.144hzmonitors.com/gaming-...uide-may-2016/

Comment

Originally posted by gamingforall View Post
              A gaming monitor should have a high refresh rate. You need to find one that fits your budget and needs. So yeah..
              To be be fair you don't NEED a high refresh rate if your GPU can't get passed 60 fps. Recently upgraded to the GTX 1080 and I have the Asus Rog which is a 1440p screen and that produces some great results what is considered the best gaming monitor available at the moment.

Edit: Click submit too early...

Was meant to say, am I the only person that HATES the sound of mechanical keyboards?! Like, it drives me insane.
              Last edited by MiGames; 07-13-2016, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MiGames View Post

To be be fair you don't NEED a high refresh rate if your GPU can't get passed 60 fps. Recently upgraded to the GTX 1080 and I have the Asus Rog which is a 1440p screen and that produces some great results what is considered the best gaming monitor available at the moment.

Edit: Click submit too early...

Was meant to say, am I the only person that HATES the sound of mechanical keyboards?! Like, it drives me insane.
                I noticed that the guide you mentioned and this gaming monitor guide recommend the PG279Q as being the best option out there. Is that monitor overkill, though if you just want to game at 1080p?

Comment

Awh I wish I saw this before I quit to help out with the hand styles section. I was never super dedicated to any single hand style, but I dedicated a massive (and potentially waste) amount of time learning how to play various hand styles based on my own theorycrafting and what I saw very good BU players did on Sea and Kau. Being able to fc songs on different handstyles was probably the most fun part about this mode for me. It felt like a different experience playing the same song with 6-finger spider vs

Also, Playing on a high end monitor and the input delay is massive :/.

Originally posted by toroelo View Post

I noticed that the guide you mentioned and this gaming monitor guide recommend the PG279Q as being the best option out there. Is that monitor overkill, though if you just want to game at 1080p?

Get it. 1440p is beautiful and very nice resolution to have as your main monitor. I only game at 1080 anyway (league doesn't scale well into 1440p). It'll also be good for the next 5+ years of use in case you don't
                  I like to

Comment

Awh I wish I saw this before I quit to assist with the hand styles segment. To be reasonable you needn't bother with a high revive rate if your GPU can't get passed 60 fps.

Comment

Working...
                    X