This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI/AMD graphics: Disable vsync [ATI Tray Tools guide thread remake]

Credit goes to Weenie and original contributors.
    last updated 14 February 2017

Since I haven't seen Weenie post in a long time, I've decided to remake this guide ATI graphics owners: Disable Vsync and anti-aliasing support with some updated information from this thread and other ones that have come up recently. (Btw, Anti-aliasing should work directly from Catalyst Control Center.)

This thread is for ATI/AMD graphics. AMD APU graphics and switchable graphics have newer drivers that may or may not work with Tray Tools. Discrete cards are still fine though.
    If you have Intel graphics, you're out of luck since the v-sync/asynchronous flip option doesn't affect Audition.
    If you have NVIDIA, just go in your graphics options, set v-sync off, and it'll work. It's under 3D settings.

If you are stuck at 60 fps consistently (or 75, or even 120 or 144! whatever your monitor refresh is!) this is for you to uncap your frames. Any lower than that and you probably won't benefit much from this :c sorry.

The default driver for ATI/AMD (Catalyst Control Center) does NOT disable v-sync because it seems to not override application settings (meaning it probably wants you to disable vsync from inside Audition and Audition doesn't have graphics settings so... lol).

The solution is a handy third party driver called ATI Tray Tools, by Ray Adams. (Ray Adams has actually been inactive, so this program hasn't been updated in ~2 years, which is around when the 6000 series cards were released.)
    >>>>>Here is the download link<<<<<.
    [Mediafire reupload] - in case you have trouble getting it from guru3d
    It will run alongside Catalyst if you want to use both or you can use it alone.
    -------------------------

Install

If you have Windows 10, click the Spoiler and follow these instructions:

If you are not on Windows 10:

Make sure you disable UAC before installation. Just search "UAC" in the start menu and it'll be an option in the "User Account Control" settings. It might tell you to restart, so go ahead and do that. Then run attsetup.exe and follow the prompts.

If you get a blue screen error (BSOD)
    • Uninstall, then reinstall but make sure to check "Disable overclocking" under "Advanced Options" during the installation.
    • If you can't get back into Windows: Boot into safe mode by mashing F8 when your computer starts up, uninstall Tray Tools from there.
    If you are still having trouble, install an older version of Catalyst/driver (something like 9.9 Catalyst Control Center should work -thank you Marcos/N3TwoRk), then install Tray Tools and set it up. When you're done with this guide, you can update your Catalyst/Control Center and driver as you wish.

If your Catalyst version is over 12.x

You may get an error "Can not initialize ATIPDLXX library! Exiting now…." when you try to run Tray Tools. This is because it's looking for a file from an older Catalyst Control Center version. You can search for the file atipdlxx.dll online and paste it into your Tray Tools programs folder, and it should stop complaining.
    • [Mediafire link]atipdlxx from Jan 4, 2012 beta, reuploaded from Bat_Zonko's post on guru3d
    • Don't forget to unpack the file, you can use 7-Zip if you do not have winrar.
    • Put the 2 files (atipdl64.dll and atipdlxx.dll) in your Tray Tools installation folder, (most likely C:\Program Files (x86)\Ray Adams\ATI Tray Tools\)
    • (You shouldn't need to do this, but you can also copy the 2 files to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ and C:\Windows\System32)

Set up Audition profile
    1. Right click on the icon in your system tray
    2. Click on "Game Profiles", 'Manage Profiles"
    3. Click the folder icon next to "Executables" and find Audition.exe (should be in C:/Program Files/Redbana/Audition/ or C:/Program Files (x86)/Redbana/Audition depending on if you have 32 or 64 bit Windows. (Name the profile whatever you want, it'll say 'Audition' by default)
    4. Click on "Direct3D Tweaks" tab
    5. "Force VSync (Vista workaround)" drop down menu, choose "Off"
    6. Then save the profile by clicking the floppy disk icon.
    Here is a visual guide posted by Nheo

Now just run Audition like you normally do through the patcher and everything. As long as ATI Tray Tools is running in the background it'll work. If you try to use ATI Tray Tools to launch Audition, it might not work.

Other errors/solutions
    X-Trap error/Game freezes or hangs ONLY when ATI Tray Tools is running

Update your DirectX version. >>>Link to Microsoft page.<<<
    You can check your DirectX version by running dxdiag. (Hit Windows key + R, type "dxdiag", Ok) Latest version is DirectX 11.
    Windows XP users don't get this error.

Need to install ATI Tray Tools after every reboot?
    Reinstall it with UAC disabled, see above in earlier section.

"Audition has stopped working" error message upon launch
    Disable OnScreen Display:
    -->Right click on tray icon
    -->"Tools & Options"
    -->"OnScreen Display..."
    -->Uncheck "Enable OnScreen Display"
    [credit]

How do I get rid of this huge obnoxious annoying yellow framerate number?
    -->"Tools & Options"
    -->"OnScreen Display..."

Still getting BSOD (with Overclocking disabled):
    Try to run ATI Tray Tools in "Compatibility Mode: Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" by right clicking the Icon --> Properties --> Compatibility --> execute program in compatibility mode --> select Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
    [credit]

Issues outside of Audition
    MSN doesn't work

It doesn't like the overclocking.
    -->"Hardware"
    -->"Auto Overclocking..."
    -->"Exclude" tab
    -->"Add"
    -->Find the MSN/Windows Live Messenger exe which should be in C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe or C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    Repeat these steps for any other programs you have trouble with.
    [Source] -thanks Jordan/tgfcoder!
    If you already disabled overclocking during installation, see the next solution.

Youtube and flash plugins crash/MSN hangs
    Try above first.
    -->"Tools & Options"
    -->"OnScreen Display..."

This doesn't work in AuditionSEA!!
    Yeah, I can't figure it out. Please let me know if you have a method :P
    I am aware that RadeonPro does turn vsync off, however you will be disconnected within a minute because Hackshield picks it up.

Is disabling vsync bad?
    In a word, no. It can cause screen tearing though. Here is a very long but excellent explanation of vsync.
    Generally, you will see an increase in your game performance. It may take a few days to get used to the new framerate though.

Disclaimer
    This tool isn't part of Audition, so in the future X-Trap can reblock ATI Tray Tools and none of this will work anymore. Every patch I that will never happen.
    On the flip side, AMD may release a version of Catalyst Control Center that will force vsync off correctly for Audition. I that will happen!

I'd like to conclude by saying that I didn't figure any of this out by myself, but from the other users who have helped me in the past. Thank you for making my Audition experience better, and I hope this knowledge helps more Audition players as well.

Please post any questions/comments/suggestions you may have. :3
    I will try to keep this updated.

ATI Tray Tools official site (Russian): http://radeon.ru/downloads/att/
    Last edited by Leebyn; 11-14-2017, 11:31 PM.

Leebyn Greentlover
    FB | Twitch | Tournament log | PM me about anything ^^

Just my notes... some of this information is outdated now.
    Last edited by Leebyn; 09-14-2017, 02:30 AM.

Leebyn Greentlover

Comment

Yay for Leebyn
      MUSE & TOUCAN
      { TUMBLR }

Comment

Great thread, I'll see if I can get this stickied.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluorescent View Post
          Yay for Leebyn

Originally posted by tgfcoder View Post
          Great thread, I'll see if I can get this stickied.
          Thank you!

Leebyn Greentlover

Comment

Nice guide. Stickied.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouXsie View Post
              Nice guide. Stickied.
              Thanks SiouXsie!

Leebyn Greentlover

Comment

fam points?

such a long timing it costs

Comment

So it doesn't work if UAC is not disabled? Do I have to keep it disabled always?

Comment

Originally posted by Eywo View Post
                    So it doesn't work if UAC is not disabled? Do I have to keep it disabled always?
                    If you don't disable it during installation, it'll only work until you restart your computer (after which you will have to reinstall Tray Tools again.)

If you install Tray Tools and then re-enable UAC later, it won't start.

You'll get a "could not connect to low-level driver" error (or similar wording, I can't remember exactly what it says.)

Leebyn Greentlover

Comment

Lee, update the OP with this copy of the .dll files, confirmed to work on the R line of Radeon cards. (at least the 270X.)
                      Last edited by Vincent; 01-09-2014, 01:44 AM.
                      4 bffeafepp

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent View Post
                        Lee, update the OP with this copy of the .dll files, confirmed to work on the R line of Radeon cards. (at least the 270X
                        Cool thanks!

Leebyn Greentlover

Comment

everytime i use this it closes all of my programs and never works now. why?
                          keyito | akatsuki | 46 | jaquito

sigpic
                          League of Legends: Redbana

Comment

Originally posted by Ratchet View Post
                            everytime i use this it closes all of my programs and never works now. why?
                            I have the same issue he does. :l
                            sigpic

Ign: Alexxie Lvl: 63 Cpl: Exempt: Fam: Royalty
                            Credits to Poopies

Comment

Which programs close? Do they crash with an error or just disappear? I haven't encountered this before.

Leebyn Greentlover

Comment

Working...
                              X