Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audition Graphics Quality Reference Guide

~ Audition Graphics Quality Reference Guide ~

Okay so this is a quick reference guide to point at when talking about graphics quality on Audition. This is not a guide on how to get good graphics, which will be briefly discussed at the end, but actually on the terminology of the graphics quality and the differences the various settings make. I hope this will be useful to screenshotters and players alike.

1 Anti-Aliasing
    The way that 3D graphics is done on computers is pixel by pixel (dot by dot.) This makes edges look jagged, which is also known as a staircase effect. Anti-aliasing blends colours together to give the appearance of smooth edges. Figure 1 below shows the difference that anti-aliasing makes.

NOTE: FXAA (Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing) is not proper anti-aliasing and will lead to a slightly blurred image, which can make text look especially blurry. Turn this OFF for quality. It's a good alternative to AA if you don't want jaggies but can't afford the performance hit that comes with AA.

Figure 1. Left: anti-aliasing disabled, right: anti-aliasing enabled (16x CSAA)
    The edge of the legs are smoother.

2 Anisotropic Filtering
    When surfaces are at an oblique angle to the camera (a relatively large 3D area only covers a small portion of the 2D screen) they will appear blurred. Anisotropic filtering gets rid of this effect as shown in Figure 2 below.

Figure 2. Left: No anisotropic filtering. Notice that the edges of the sock texture are blurred.
    Right: anisotropic filtering (8x) enabled. The textures say sharp at all angles.

3 Texture filtering quality
    Texture filtering is a method of how the 2D textures (skin, clothes, etc.) get mapped onto the 3D shapes. Low quality filtering gives better performance but leads to blurry textures. High quality filtering may incur an FPS drop but the textures will retain more detail. Figure 3(a) and 3(b) below show the difference.

Figure 3(a). Left: Simple texture filtering (performance.) Right: high quality texture filtering (quality.)

Figure 3(b). Same as above. Notice the detail in the strands of hair and in the necklace.

4 Sharpening
    Due to the nature of the graphics rendering in Audition, textures often come out slightly blurred. A simple sharpen filter can bring crispness back into the screenshot. This is usually done as a post-production effect in Photoshop, GIMP, etc. Figures 4(a) and 4(b) below show the effect of sharpening (exaggerated for illustration.) It is important to note that you must be working with a high quality screenshot to get good results. The in-game screenshot function produces low quality screenshots and sharpening the image will actually make it look worse. Ensure you have FRAPS or BandiCam and take screenshots in .PNG format.

Note for image editors: Always sharpen last, AFTER resizing. Sharpening can make an image look crisp again after sizing an image down.

Figure 4(a). The effects of sharpening the image. (Exaggerated to show the effect better.)
    Left: normal high quality screenshot. Right: Sharpened.
    Notice the improved quality of the detailed areas such as the hair and clothes,
    and how the image seems to be more in focus.

Figure 4(b). Close up of Figure 4(a). Details such as the necklace and strands of hair
    and ruffles on the shirt are restored to being clean and crisp.

5 How to enable graphics quality settings
    Depending on your video card/chip and driver, it will be a different process. For Intel, you're limited to whatever settings are made available to you in the Intel Graphics Option panel (right click on Desktop, choose Graphics Options.) For NVIDIA, you can use the NVIDIA Control Panel which is installed with the latest drivers. For ATI/AMD, use Catalyst Control Centre (CCC) or ATI Tray Tools.

Please check out Hengbok's awesome guide for more information: http://forums.redbana.com/showthread.php?t=5165

6 Conclusion
    For highest quality pictures, all of these settings combined will give you the best result. Remember, for quality, always use the PNG file format. Figure 5 shows a comparison of low quality and highest quality screenshots to give you an idea of what difference a little love and care can make.

Figure 5. The difference between a low-quality jpg screenshot (left)
    and a high graphics quality, sharpened, lossless png screenshot (right.)
    Last edited by tgfcoder; 11-11-2012, 04:20 AM.

O: I'm just wondering is there a way to turn low quality into HQ on a Vista pc? :c I've been dying to have graphics like that! D:
    Nice guide. (:
    Ign ★ Lvl ★ Cpl ★ Fam ★ Team ★
    sigpic
    Alliena ♦ 6 ♦ ♦ Imperfection ♦ ♦

Comment

Lol I can barely tell the difference between the two @ Figure 5

Go Jordan!

Comment

Yup, it makes a little difference, which can mean a lot if you are making high quality graphics. I always play on lowest quality for the highest FPS though. I barely look at the characters' detailed clothing folds, etc. while I'm playing. Hopefully by getting you to squint to see all the differences I don't turn everyone into graphics quality pedants.

Comment

nice guide jordan

{ Activism Altruism } { 57 } { Celebrity } { Pooh & The }

Comment

I looove high quality screenshots.
            Nice guide.
            venice 52 golden ✿

❥ barak is ugly & my bffl ok every1 back off!1!
            jenny is my best mentee ★

Comment

Originally posted by Poopies View Post
              nice guide jordan
              Originally posted by Kaeluh View Post
              I looove high quality screenshots.
              Nice guide.
              tenks

Comment

Nice reference thread Good examples

Just FYI
                I know Intel has texture and anisotropic filtering options (and anti-aliasing for SandyBridge+) but I'm fairly sure it's OpenGL only. :/

Also, depending on your system, you can set some of the 3D options on higher quality without a (major) framerate decrease e.g. you set AF to x8 but at x16 you start losing frames/sec. So play around with individual settings

Originally posted by Teal View Post
                O: I'm just wondering is there a way to turn low quality into HQ on a Vista pc? :c I've been dying to have graphics like that! D:
                Nice guide. (:
                This will depend on your graphics card, I don't think the operating system affects the settings too much.
                Last edited by Leebyn; 11-06-2012, 02:01 AM.

Comment

very nice :3 looks great with picture samples

Comment

thank you!

I've been qqing for a while because I have Intel on my half-decade old+ laptop, and all the tuts are for like ATI/AMD, NVIDIA, and I'm just like...yahp I have Intel

I went briefly through the options, and the terms you used in the tut are really familiar (pretty sure they're in the options). So I'm going to go and check if ti changes anything
                    Skylark (hiatus) | signature tut | LoL - cherishment

Comment

Originally posted by Complexity View Post
                      thank you!

I've been qqing for a while because I have Intel on my half-decade old+ laptop, and all the tuts are for like ATI/AMD, NVIDIA, and I'm just like...yahp I have Intel

I went briefly through the options, and the terms you used in the tut are really familiar (pretty sure they're in the options). So I'm going to go and check if ti changes anything
                      They may, but as Leebyn mentioned, might only work for OpenGL (games like Minecraft and others, not Audition or most commercial 3D Windows games.)

Comment

In my point of view, sharpening doesn't make an image look nice no matter what. It makes it feel like objects and characters are glowing.

I hope you're proud of yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Oddbrother View Post
                          In my point of view, sharpening doesn't make an image look nice no matter what. It makes it feel like objects and characters are glowing.
                          well it does improve the details drastically `o`.

-

thanks jordan! this helped me alot c:

- i love ceres, miku, allen, sandy -
                          tumblr`

Comment

Originally posted by Oddbrother View Post
                            I agree the glow is more so a preference though some people like to see graphics that way and some people like a more realistic crisp look.
                            Thanks to Aria~ for the great Siggy
                            sigpic

Comment

I hate jaggies, always played Audition with AA x8 and anisotropic filtering x16

to improve the quality of long distance textures, not know whether it affects performance because always played this way lol
                              sigpic

Max Chain 8-keys → x43 (8mil+)

Max Chain 4-keys → x39 (6mil +)

Comment

Working...
                              X