This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Guide] Nvidia control panel, performance & quality settings

I decided to scrap up this guide real quick with screenshots to properly show what kinds of settings you should have ur graphic options set to for specific scenario's ie) highest performance or highest quality.
    A lot of similar questions about these graphical options has surfaced lately, and instead of repeating myself over and over or trying to explain what things do, i just decided to make a thread about it instead; including screenshots.

Important: this guide is for Nvidia graphic card owners only! always keep your graphic card up-to-date with driver updates from www.nvidia.com
    reason: updating to the latest drivers help the computer better understand ur graphic card hardware through scripts (drivers) and most of the time driver updates improve performance in games or add certain new features to the control panel better utilizing the hardware (gfx card). this isn't just for ur graphic card either, you should do this for all your computer hardwares...computers can't read hardware properly unless there's something telling it what it's supposed to be doing or what it is...that's why there's drivers.

Before Reading notes:

Note #1: before you read this guide, realize that everyone will have a variety of different graphic cards, so the control panel will vary by some sort...for instance i have a gtx 295 which uses multi-gpu...therefore i will have some different option settings in the screenshots than what you may have, just ignore them and only adjust the options you have on your computer.

Note #2: You'll notice with nvidia control panel and in the screenshots below, there is a space that says.."description" and "typical usage scenario's" these are important to look at and very informative...they pretty much tell you what that graphic function does and what the usages do ie) turn on for higher performance, turn off for better image quality. simple right? just hover your mouse over the graphic option and u'll see the description/usage.

Note #3: Vsync is optional! vsync caps frames per second (fps) at 60fps to sync with ur monitors refresh rate which in most cases is 60hz. this prevents a thing called screen tearing, if you turn vsync off this removes the 60fps cap and allows ur computer to go beyond 60fps to it's performance limits, but this will then cause something called "screen tearing" it's hard to see and not annoying, but if u focus on it you can definitely see it, in most cases in fast paced games like racing or shooter games. if you prefer to play with vsync on, it's best u turn on triple buffering to increase performance while using vsync, triple buffering helps make ur gameplay seem smoother even at lower frame rates!
    *Important* if you run a game ex) audition at 30-40fps and you turn off vsync, it will not help you in any way, vsync is for computers capable of going beyond 60fps, so turning vsync off may improve ur fps very little but really if ur getting below 60fps...then there's really no point...u could try turning on vsync and triple buffering to get that smoother feeling even with the lower fps, might help lol.

Section 1: Highest Performance Settings

Description: These two pictures show the settings for highest performance options, so for people who's computers struggle to perform well with audition, try using these settings on audition to try and maximize performance on the game.

Section 2: Highest Quality Settings

Description: These two pictures show the settings for the highest quality options, this is for people who have descent computers and can afford to have quality and maintain high fps during gameplay.

Note #4: notice how both screenshots have vsync off and triple buffering off? that's just preference, so as you read above at what vsync does, i'm sure u can manage on your own.

hope this helps and clears up many questions people have! just have to find the right settings between quality/performance and fps.
    Last edited by GrieverXVII; 07-07-2010, 08:58 AM.
    sigpic
    Portfolio
    Art Institute of Vancouver - 3D Modeling for animation and games diploma '09
    Fizz Gaming: www.youtube.com/fizzgamingstream
    FG on Facebook: www.facebook.com/fizzgaming
    FG on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/fizz_gaming

its okay ryan; we love you still<3 LOL.

Comment

LOLL. I couldn't even add it to my computer. D8
      active on league pm for contact info

Comment

It's ok.. I'll be waiting for that
        sigpic
        Youtube

Comment

lol ok i finished! lol editted it.
          sigpic
          Portfolio

Comment

Lol.............

Comment

Originally posted by MareBear View Post
              Lol.............
              LOL HEY! hey! i know wat u laughinz at!? -___- not my fault im nerdo.
              sigpic
              Portfolio

Comment

Thank you very much for that!!
                sigpic
                Youtube

Comment

whoa whoa...8 pre rendered frames? your gonna be like hitting space before the bar even gets to the perf point. Thou this would help greatly in slow songs, but would fail extremely badly in fast songs.
                  ~*Eternal are the Phoenix*~
                  sigpic

Comment

^ It does say that input by keyboard will be delayed but it does help boost the fps while playing.

This guide was very helpful. Thank you very much. The only difference I have is that I put triple buffering on even though my v sync is off. I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to try.

Comment

Originally posted by MithraJin View Post
                      ^ It does say that input by keyboard will be delayed but it does help boost the fps while playing.

This guide was very helpful. Thank you very much. The only difference I have is that I put triple buffering on even though my v sync is off. I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to try.
                      Triple buffering doesn't affect anything if you don't have vsync on lol
                      ~*Eternal are the Phoenix*~
                      sigpic

Comment

Still getting a grand total of 20fps in WoW. Which honestly isn't that bad, but c'mon...
                        Ras lv. 24

Comment

Originally posted by willsonfang View Post
                          whoa whoa...8 pre rendered frames? your gonna be like hitting space before the bar even gets to the perf point. Thou this would help greatly in slow songs, but would fail extremely badly in fast songs.
                          understandable, but the keyword is "if". the description says if you experience delays in mouse/keyboard etc. lower the number, so i'm assuming this function is dependant on how powerful ur cpu is to actually have an effect, i can understand if ur cpu is like pentium 4 on full load running audition, then it's best not to have this number high cuz it can't really handle much more, but im sure if u have a dual core or higher it shouldn't be much of a concern, cuz this function lets the cpu help render frames alongside the gpu so if the cpu is older or not powerful enough to do both tasks/functions (run the game and help the gpu render frames) then i can see delays happening, i've always had this function at 8 for the longest time and it seems pretty onbeat/responsive in-game to me :O

edit:
                          i just did two gameplay tests in a full room on love mode, did one test with 8 pre rendered frames and one with 0 pre rendered frames, and i truthfully didn't feel or see any difference at all...so maybe on a less powerful cpu having this number high will effect you, that i'm not to sure of since i couldn't see or feel a difference on my end, so if you do feel a difference or change in input/delay when altering this setting, go ahead and change it accordingly i guess :X
                          thanks willsonfang for pointing that out tho

edit again: lol, im curious about this now so i looked deeper into it and stumbled across this forum thread, there's one post that says
                          "lol don't use 0. Seriously, it will cause more problems and BSOD too, you will see it eventually, its not recommended to use 0 even from nvidia. Use 1 or 2. I use 2 tried 1 but i saw some strange frame tearing when set to 1... thats without vsync, it was ok with 2, but you only lower this if you experience heavy lag in keyboard or mouse, this mouse lag is usually preset when you use vsync... "

link: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3447226

Originally posted by raspberri View Post
                          Still getting a grand total of 20fps in WoW. Which honestly isn't that bad, but c'mon...
                          i'm not sure if u were expecting this thread to increase ur fps by alot, this was more so a "this is what settings u should have for certain scenario" type of thread, so if u are still getting 20fps even after adjusting ur settings...then u really need a hardware upgrade lol :\
                          Last edited by GrieverXVII; 07-07-2010, 06:16 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Portfolio

Comment

The other guy who posted this took it off.
                            This deserves to be stickied c:
                            A Search Bar is a terrible thing to waste.

Comment

Originally posted by GrieverXVII View Post
                              i'm not sure if u were expecting this thread to increase ur fps by alot, this was more so a "this is what settings u should have for certain scenario" type of thread, so if u are still getting 20fps even after adjusting ur settings...then u really need a hardware upgrade lol :\
                              I was hoping it would help a liiiiitle bit. I just bought a new graphics card like, a month ago. Which brings me to a question: if I bought teh best graphics card out there, would it even matter with a crappy old computer? Because I'm starting to think my buying this one didn't even matter.
                              Ras lv. 24

Comment

Working...
                              X