Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signature tutorial ; ♥

Hey guys xD I hope that some of you know who I am? If not, that’s fine too
    I'm kaye, also known as Duplicity in game, but on the forums, I manage a signature thread here

Recently, some people have asked me how I make signatures and if I could teach them or not? Well, since I don't plan on individually coaching every person, I thought I would make a tutorial. I'm not a professional in this (I don't get paid, I haven't been to school) but I have been using photoshop since I was 11/12 and I'm 15 now, so about 3 or 4 years of experience with photoshop. I've gained some experience and I've learnt a lot of new things along the way.

A lot of people want to master photoshop, they want to be able to make breath taking signature...but let's keep some things in mind okay?
    • You will NOT be amazing at first, I don't care if you think you're some kind of child prodigy, it just doesn't work that way
    • This sort of art takes experience, practice, and determination. You will make crappy things at first, if you can learn to accept that, it'll make this easier for all of us.
    • Lastly, just like everyone has their own out appearances, graphic art is relatively the same, everyone has their own style so go ahead and try other people's styles, but at the end, what I hope you achieve is your own personal style of creating graphic art.

Anyways, enough of my rambling, I hope you can learn something from my tutorial and even if you don't, maybe it'll be fun reading?
    I N S P I R A T I O N
    Art is like a flower, it needs manure. (hah, you thought I was going to say something overly poetic) In my case, I love to use these places to look for inspiration.

Google is amazing, if you want inspiration, simply type in whatever you're feeling and search through the images.
    Google

This site is a gathering of artists, just like google, type in whatever you're feeling, or colors, etc. You can also look through categories, I can spend hours just browsing this site.
    DeviantArt

LOOK ON THIS FORUM! There are plenty of amazing graphic users who offer signatures, need inspiration? It's right under your mouses. These are some of my most admired/favorite signature makers.
    Eve & Morgan's
    Kuku
    Myu
    Shaily
    Kayla

Or you could just go for a walk, but basically, DON'T TRY TO FORCE CREATIVITY out of yourself o3o. Just take a break or something~

T A B L E OF CONTENTS ;

SIGNATURE TUTORIALS ;
    Part One: Basics (Size & Background)
    Part Two: Composition
    Part Three: Extracting & Blending
    Part Four: Textures
    Part Five: Brushes
    Color/Variety
    Typography
    Finishing Touches

MISC. TUTORIALS ;
    Actions
    Pen Tool
    Typography
    Coloring
    Patterns
    Rainbow Effect

Note* all watermarked sites BELONG to me, I did not steal them.

FEEL FREE TO REQUEST ANY GRAPHIC TUTORIALS, or even if you'd like to know how I did something!

LOLS, long time no update. Will probably remain that way until the summer c: dommage~
    Last edited by -EatChoco-; 03-09-2011, 02:21 AM.

ignEquivocale / cplPublicity / co@Paranoid
    Deviant A r t ; Sig TUT ; Drawing TUT ; doo[dles]
    sigpic
    doodle blog

P A R T ONE
    You're going to need some kind of graphic program, this tutorial is using Photoshop CS4 so it should work best with photoshop. Older versions can probably follow along as well, I don't know about programs such as GIMP/etc, but you can try

You also need patience, you're not going to get it perfect the first time (: And this involves experience, and sorry, but that's something that you can only develop with practice and time.

LASTLY! I always like to have some nice music going on in the background, keeps me focused. If you want, have a drink near by too, just don't get too drunk while making graphics xD

Let's start with the basics of what we're going to learn here in Part One of my signature tutorial.
    • Signature Size
    • Background

Before you start, obviously you're going to need images. But images of what? Well, that's up to you to decide. If you want to make yourself a signature, then have some screenshots of your character. Please try to obtain high quality screenshots, there's nothing worse than having a perfectly good signature be ruined by crappy screenshots. Many threads in fan creations offer screenshot taking, try and find someone who offers to take your screenshots using fraps. I find that the quality of those screenshots are the best.

This is what she wanted, so I'm going to try to stick to these, but remember, as the artist, you should know best, if they wanted sparkly pink poodles all over ,if you think it doesn't look good. DON'T USE IT.

♣ Name: Kim
    ♣ IGN: Kez
    ♣ Color Preference: Blue, silver.
    ♣ Other Specifications: I'd like to have "These streets will make you feel brand new, the lights will inspire you." somewhere, please(:. &Would it be possible if you made it city-like?

Her Screenshots are good high quality shots that include both full body and zooms up close. That's the best type of screenshots, we WANT VARIETY.
    So the screenshots I can choose from: 1 2 3 4 5

I'm going to open up all of these images in photoshop. So open photoshop and then save the images onto your computer, then at the top left corner, click file > open, browse for the images and you can ctrl + click to select all of them, then click open to open all of the images.

Once you have them open, you need to open a canvas for your signature, since the max size for the signature on the forums are 500 px width max, and 100 px height max.

Open a canvas by File > New and use these settings. Make sure that under Background contents, it's set to transparent, I hate working with white backgrounds since I'm going to choose an image for the background anyways!

I usually start with the background, so since Kim said she wanted a city - like signature with silver and blue colors, that's what I'll google. Try to stick to stock images, or if you find something copyrighted that you like, ask for permission.

I searched for the keywords: silver, city, and blue.
    When I find some pictures that I like, (I may use more than one, I blend them together in photoshop somehow)
    I chose these images for the background: 1 2 3

I put image 1 as the layer 1 with no layer style.
    Image 2 goes over layer 1 with the layer style set to overlay
    And finally image 3 goes over layer 2 with the layer style set to screen.

Your image should now look like this. The pink outline shows where you can change your layer style, just select the layer you want to change the style of and then pick.
    Of course I moved my images around a bit until I got the effect I wanted.

Of course, this isn't set in stone, and I'm bond to change my background later depending on how my composition is and what I want the overall signature to turn out like. Creating a signature is a lot of just changing to suit your tastes, there is no right way

Don't forget to save your progress!!! Go to File > Save and make sure you have the file format as .psd and the layer box checked.

This is the end of Part One.
    Last edited by -EatChoco-; 06-01-2010, 09:47 PM.

sigpic
    doodle blog

Comment

i loveee your tutsss 8D
      i always wanted your proness D;

wanna put some of your skills uppp ASAPPP? xD?
      Last edited by N3RD~; 06-01-2010, 10:35 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Very good so far ;D Need some gradient maps yesss.

Comment

awh, I love your sigs too Kaye <3__<3.
          ^ @ above- on blended sigs, it's probably not going to be really good if she uses a gradient map , since it's blended & has difficult pictures . ;D
          Aristotle(AAU) | shishou (League)

Comment

nice tutorial, Kaye c:
            you're so pro~
            Joyceh
            tumblr♥

Comment

Kaye is Pro~
              I admire you're skills

Comment

LOOK ON THIS FORUM! There are plenty of amazing graphic users who offer signatures, need inspiration? It's right under your mouses. These are some of my most admired/favorite signature makers.
                Eve & Morgan's
                Kuku
                Myu
                Shaily
                Kayla
                HI,it's morgan,& i just wanted to say THANKYOUPRO! iLAVHHyosigntures.
                PROOO.
                thankyouu(:.
                Polar - ZeroNo - XOXO To Bear - RingLVL: 41 - 2x - Inactive on game- Active on forums / Message for other games.
                sigpic
                “So keep your head high, keep your chin up. And most importantly, keep smiling. Life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about.”
                Morgan + Eve = trueloveforeverkekeke. I love you so much ♥. -Eve (Complexity)
                Tumblr My Signature Thread Collab Signature Thread
                Eve and Mich are my tru babes. ♥♥

Comment

Originally posted by -EatChoco- View Post
                  Eve & Morgan's
                  Kuku
                  Myu
                  Shaily
                  Kayla
                  I think you should take me off that list cause I don't even take signature requests anymore and I pretty much removed all the examples 8D..; LOL.

But omfg I love your signatures & this tutorial so far ;__;<3.
                  [TUMBLR.]
                  League: Pigeon
                  HUZZAH | 32 | EROCKTION | -RCK-JOHNNY | MINTI&idkmyotherteammatewhoops

sigpic

Comment

O gawd,
                    Ur tuts are osm 8D
                    Thanks for the childhood.

Comment

Originally posted by N3RD~ View Post
                      i loveee your tutsss 8D
                      i always wanted your proness D;

wanna put some of your skills uppp ASAPPP? xD?
                      I shall try to update a part per day xD

Originally posted by Complexity View Post
                      awh, I love your sigs too Kaye <3__<3.
                      ^ @ above- on blended sigs, it's probably not going to be really good if she uses a gradient map , since it's blended & has difficult pictures . ;D
                      aww thanks <3

Originally posted by Kenta View Post
                      Very good so far ;D Need some gradient maps yesss.
                      LOL, if it's your own personal preference, go ahead (;

Originally posted by countitup.- View Post

Eve & Morgan's
                      Kuku
                      Myu
                      Shaily
                      Kayla
                      HI,it's morgan,& i just wanted to say THANKYOUPRO! iLAVHHyosigntures.
                      PROOO.
                      thankyouu(:.
                      ALLO MORGAN ^____^
                      you're def good

Originally posted by K u k u ` View Post
                      I think you should take me off that list cause I don't even take signature requests anymore and I pretty much removed all the examples 8D..; LOL.

But omfg I love your signatures & this tutorial so far ;__;<3.
                      <3_______<3
                      plox put your examples back up? pleaseee, kaye needs inspiration <3

Originally posted by -InShock- View Post
                      O gawd,
                      Ur tuts are osm 8D
                      haha, maybe you won't say so once it's done @___@

sigpic
                      doodle blog

Comment

kaye has beautiful sigs <3
                        i should request when you dont have so much to do, WAIT you always have a lot ): LOL.

Comment

Very helpful!
                          Thanks for sharing. C:
                          (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
                          sigpic
                          {_ | 나의 왕자님 | Tamai/Ball(s) ❤ ]

Comment

P A R T TWO
                            In part two we're going to learn:
                            • Composition

Now, we're going to compose our signature.
                            What does that mean? Basically, just we're going to decide what goes where and how to make it fit together in a way that is appealing to the eye. You have to remember to think about the curves in the signature, since the eye reads from left to right and up to down. Don't stress though, this becomes sort of natural after practice, but for now...

I like to choose which screenshots I'm going to use in my signature before I start composing. Make sure that you pick some closeups and some full body/smaller screenshots, or else it gets boring, don't choose JUST CLOSE UPS. It's great to have SOME, but we don't want to constantly look up someone's non-visible nose. Oh, and please try to choose at LEAST two screenshots, sometimes one works (but you have to balance it with other effects) but you'll be safer with 2-3 screenshots.

I chose: 1 2 3

The reason that I chose these screenshots is because they fit what I like to use as triangular composition (this is just a word I made up to describe my style of composing signatures xD Don't go around to art teachers saying this)

If you don't understand what I mean look at my signatures.

See the common triangular composition? I find that it's appealing to others, and myself But feel free to try your own ways, as long as you like it, what the hell, just go for it.

On my screen here is how I'm planning to arrange my screenshots.
                            Remember to resize your images before you arrange them because at this highquality/size state, the character's entire face will be the signature...o__o

Go to Image > Image size , it should look like this.
                            and play around with it, change the pixels until they fit what you want. Make sure the constrain proportions box is checked so you don't end up with fat/anorexic people when you resize.

I decided to resize image 1 to 450 pixels wide and then photoshop figured out the rest <3

Then take the Move Tool (first tool on your toolbar) and drag your screenshot to your signature canvas.

Because I don't want the big chunky background for when I'm figuring out the composition, I choose the Rectangular Marquee Tool and make a box around the character. If you still can't find the tool, on your left, in the tool bar, the second box, right click on it and you should be able to select it.

Now make a selection around what you want to keep (don't worry, were not focusing on actually cutting out the image right now, that comes in the next part, we're just trying to get rid of some of the background so we can compose our signature better)

Then go to Select > Inverse, it should now select everything else but your box. Go to the layer with your screenshot and just press delete on your keyboard, it should now delete some of the background.

Do this to your other image. Resize, drag onto your canvas, and play around with it until you get a composition you like. This is what mine looks like.
                            Feel free to change your layer style to hard light, or depending on the background, whatever layer style that will allow you to sort of see where you've placed your people. Don't worry about ugliness right now, we're going to learn to cut out the people in the next part of the tutorial. Also, notice the movement and triangle in my signature so far. (The pink line)

Next part, we'll learn to cut out the character from her background, cause we really don't want club bana in our sigs. o3o

This is the end of Part Two. ♥

sigpic
                            doodle blog

Comment

Originally posted by Cynn View Post
                              kaye has beautiful sigs <3
                              i should request when you dont have so much to do, WAIT you always have a lot ): LOL.
                              whut did i say last time cynn? (:
                              anytime you need anything, come,
                              want a sig?
                              i'll bump you <3

sigpic
                              doodle blog

Comment

Working...
                              X