Recording a video of your Audition gameplay (Screen Capture) - Redbana Forums

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording a video of your Audition gameplay (Screen Capture)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording a video of your Audition gameplay (Screen Capture)

General Information

There are a bunch of reasons want to record your screen and create an Audition video! Maybe you want to provide a form of proof of legitimacy, or maybe you found a weird bug in the game and want to take a video, or maybe you just want to share your skills with your friends. (Or maybe because we're requiring videos for FAM Games!)

The good news is that you can create these screen capture videos easily, and with free software as well. I'll list a few here in this thread, but keep in mind that it is not all inclusive; if you find another program you like better, then by all means use it!

I. General Points to remember

Audition's resolution is 1024x768. No matter how exactly you scale it on your monitor screen - windowed, full screen, stretched, aspect ratio, etc... the game is always set to 1024x768. (Just like all your screenshots!)
    This means your video must be at least that resolution to be clearly seen. It also means you don't need to record or upscale your video to 1080p unless you want to.

When Audition is running in full screen mode, it is proper, exclusive full screen. This means certain window capture methods won't work.

If the goal is to make a "legitimacy" video, it is highly recommended to include your entire screen (i.e. your entire desktop space.) However, keep in mind that it is possible for people to have multiple monitors, and generally screen captures only include 1 monitor area.

II. Choosing a program

All recording software would probably have some sort of performance loss, and the ideal software is going to depend on the individual user's setup.

Using CPU recording (software)

Software recording is a good starting point and a good option for pretty much everyone.
    Here are some free programs that you can easily use to record videos.

My personal recommendation:
    • Bandicam - Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8/8.1, 1. Really commonly used and easy to set up. There's a watermark and a 10 minute limit if you don't have a license though.
    • OBS Studio (previously Open Broadcaster Software) - Windows Vista SP2, 7, 8/8.1, 10. This is probably my go-to for recording anything on the computer. It takes a little bit more effort to set up but well worth it, and there are plenty of resources on the web because it's so widely used.
    Others:
    • XSplit. Used to be the one and only streaming software. Just keep in mind that Gamecaster doesn't record your desktop (I think) so you'll need to set up the source in Broadcaster (similar to OBS).
    • FFSplit [Mediafire]. An old alternative to XSplit, but now defunct. Version 0.6.0.9 was really good for performance on lower specs, if you can find it somewhere out there.
    • VLC. Yeah, VLC really does do everything haha. It's not very good performance-wise though.
    • Screen Movie Studio. An older one I used many years ago for its simplicity, though it uses some older compression (big files) and takes time to output a video file after you're done recording.
    (N.B. If you play with more than 60 fps, do not use Fraps. It locks your gameplay to 60 fps.)

Remember that this is not a complete list, and you can definitely find other similar programs that are just as good, or even better. I won't go in depth here about how to set these programs up, but there are resources out there if you do a web search.

For those who haven't disabled v-sync: If you already play at 60 fps (at 60 Hz) and you use a fairly recent computer (let's say, within 5 years), you will most likely still get around 60 fps, due to the FPS limit being caused by v-sync. and not a limitation of your CPU/GPU. You may still get a bit of stutter (changes in frame time) though.
    If you play at 60 fps and you have an older computer without a discrete GPU, it will probably dip down to 30-40 fps.

For those who already disabled v-sync, you may see more of a numerical difference in your frames/sec.
    • Modern multi-core processors (Intel Pentium G and Core i3/i5/i7 or later, AMD FX or later)
      • Generally, at most a 5-10% decrease in performance with software solutions (x264 encoding being most common) if you have a discrete GPU. With Intel Graphics you may see about a 25-30% decrease (keeping in mind the note above about vsync).
    • Older dual-core and quad core processors (Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad/Pentium, AMD Athlon)
      • These will struggle a little more due to how demanding encoding is on the CPU. The exact amount will depend on how old your processor is.
    Using GPU accelerated recording (hardware)
    If you have a recent discrete GPU or even an APU, consider using hardware acceleration instead of CPU!

Both the red and green teams have this option on their modern cards.

AMD ReLive - bundled with Radeon drivers - GCN only - 7700 series or later
    NVIDIA Shadowplay / Share - bundled with GeForce Experience - GTX 650 series or higher, some mobile chips 600M and higher
    Quick note: The late February NVIDIA driver triggers an X-Trap error related to GeForce Experience (?) so use a different version.

Because Audition requires very, very little GPU performance, these are extremely good solutions for having almost no FPS loss. All of the encoding is done on the GPU itself, which leaves your processor free to spit out all of your lovely Audition frames. This option is really good for those with slower dual-core processors or older quad-core processors plus a fairly new GPU.
    When using this method in Windows 7 to record your desktop, Aero is required!

Just as a note- Intel also has a hardware accelerated encoder option for their integrated graphics on recent CPU models (check this list) but because Audition is generally CPU limited for most people, using the integrated graphics on the CPU is no different than just using the CPU for software encoding. Therefore, I have found this not to be as useful as the NVIDIA or AMD option for recording Audition. Worth a try though if you have a setup with a really good Intel CPU and a really slow GPU though.

Hardware accelerated encoding is actually also an option (NVENC, AMD, and QSV) in OBS or Bandicam as well, if you don't like ReLive or Shadowplay for some reason.

The one drawback of this method is that the bitrate for having comparable visual quality to software encoding is much higher, so the filesizes of your videos will be bigger, and the data write rate while recording is higher. This may be a potential "bottleneck" for your video recording process. Also theoretically, if you play Audition from the same drive that you are recording to, there is potential for 'space lag' and similar freezes if your hard drive cannot read the Audition game files as fast during the recording process.

Another thing to keep in mind is that for Windows 7 users, Aero/DWM (Desktop Composition) is required for Shadowplay or ReLive to record your desktop, so if you play in windowed mode, vertical sync will be applied to the desktop environment.
    (To enable DWM: Press Windows key+Pause key to pull up System info, 'Advanced system settings' on the left column, 'Advanced' tab, Performance Settings, check "Enable desktop composition" in the Custom list.)

III. Performance tips

Try setting your computer to "High Performance". Audition itself may not cause your CPU to come out of idle states (well the recording and encoding process theoretically should) but changing to this power plan will ensure your CPU is running at its maximum set clock speed. This option is located in Control Panel - Power Options, and the High Performance option might be under "Show additional plans". You can also create a new plan or edit an existing one. "Change advanced power settings" should bring up its own window and you can set "Processor power management" minimum processor state to 100%. This option may be disabled in Windows if you have a certain value in your BIOS that controls the CPU C-states or power (varies by manufacturer), in which case you would need to go there to adjust this setting.

As I mentioned above, if you have multiple hard drives in your system, it might be a good idea to set the video output path to a different drive than where you installed Audition. This is to avoid any read/write issues on slower drives.

If you are on Windows 7 or older, and you are using a monitor capture method, disable Aero. Otherwise, keep Aero on. You can find Aero Themes in Control Panel - Personalization, or simply right click on your desktop and click Personalize.

Using a direct game or window capture generally has better performance than monitor capture, however some program capture implementations do conflict with X-Trap so be careful. OBS Window capture works well.

To improve performance, you can decrease your recording frame rate from 60 to 30 or even 24. If you are using integrated graphics or if you have an older processor I would highly recommend recording at 20-30 fps.
    Changing this value doesn't cap your in-game framerate (unless you're using Fraps), but it simply changes the framerate at which your screen is being captured. Of course this decreases the 'smoothness' of your recorded video, but it's not too bad. I used to stream Audition at 24 fps, and it doesn't look terrible. I probably wouldn't go below 20 fps though, especially if you are playing a fast song.

You can also lower the quality of your captured video to improve performance. The x264 encoder has presets that will change your CPU usage. For more information, check this page about OBS.

Bandicam article about reducing lag

Disable the Audition stage background in the Ctrl+S options to improve your in-game performance.

You may also want to disable any "quality" settings such as anti-aliasing, if you had those enabled via your graphics driver.
    Last edited by Leebyn; 04-18-2018, 12:55 AM.

Leebyn Greentlover
    FB | Twitch | Tournament log | PM me about anything ^^

IV. Other notes

If you want to record full screen Audition AND show your entire desktop (when you alt-tab, I mean) Audition will appear as 1024x768 in the top left corner of your screen and the rest of your desktop will be visible beyond that resolution. Because Audition runs as exclusive full screen, the rest of the desktop will just be a frozen image until you alt-tab out of Audition, so you will NOT be able to show a live task manager in this way while you are playing.

To show Audition and your desktop neatly without any excess portions, you can change your desktop resolution temporarily to 1024x768 (yeah... I know it's tiny) and record at 1024x768.

If you're getting a black screen with NVIDIA Graphics / Optimus on laptops, read this article. NVIDIA Optimus is tricky in that only the Intel iGPU outputs to the screen, but the game may be rendering on the NVIDIA card.

This is kind of a broad topic, so I'll probably think of more to write here.

V. External Resources

AMD ReLive Guide
    NVIDIA Shadowplay / Share
    Shadowplay (GeForce Experience 2.0)
    OBS Studio Quickstart Guide (Text)
    OBS Studio Video guide
    Bandicam Full Screen

Feel free to ask any questions here as well.

Leebyn Greentlover

Comment

one more for me because I write too much and go over the 10,000 character limit.

Leebyn Greentlover

Comment

Working...
      X