Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanics of Audition and Understanding Rhythm

The Bar

Audition is a musical game that makes the player follow a rhythm via BPM (beats per minute) and each move will be scored by how well you are able to react to every 8th beat. In short, this game relies heavily on muscle memory. Simple right?
    In the Spoiler tabs, I added some additional information explaining these concepts for those who like to understand these concepts more. But otherwise I’ll keep it short and concise for those who are just getting into Audition or looking for quick tricks to improve.

This GIF shows that Audition breaks each move down to 4 beats each time the ball is passing through the perfect meter called a bar. Meaning that if a song is 120 BPM that means in 1 minute you will see 120 beats. And that 120 beats is divided into 4 and at every 8th beat of the 2nd bar, you are requested to ctrl/space for your move. So most importantly a player needs to react to the ball when it is closing in at the 8th beat repetitively.
    Level 1-5 are 1 bar (4 beats)
    Level 6-12 are 2 bar (8 beats)

Early, Mid, Late Beats

Because Audition is a bit of a dated game, the music they bring can sometimes not be completely aligned with the rhythm and the ball hitting the perfect bar. So when people mention the song is not on beat that’s what it means. It is also important to note that everyone’s audio setup and feel for rhythm is a little different. Some people tend to hit things earlier or later, so your experience may be a little different. Generally players agree on which songs are significantly and noticeably early/late though.

Early - That means the song beat is a bit earlier than anticipated so if you are playing you will try to ctrl/space bar a bit earlier than what you would usually ctrl/space bar to land your perfect
    Mid – This means the song is onbeat and the ball lands perfectly on the perfect bar.
    Late – This means that the song beat is later than anticipated when the ball moves towards the perfect bar so try to ctrl/space bar a bit later than what you would usually ctrl/space bar to land your perfect.
    Offbeat – The song BPM is incorrectly placed completely meaning the rhythm does not fit the perfect bar at all. Rely on your muscle memory.

METHODS OF IMPROVING

Practice with the bar

Metronome is an excellent device to use to tune in your sense of rhythm and music tempo. This video here will demonstrate how to use Audition with the metronome.

This video is old but it’s still gold. :’)

If you don't own a metronome I recommend these choices here that you can use online:
    I recommend using a metronome from google here:
    Here
    There is also an excellent metronome app for your phone called Metronome Beats if you prefer practicing your rhythm on your free time away from the computer.

Alphard’s Personal Boot Camp

To start off, if you want to purely focus on perfecting and rhythm of the music, I suggest playing in C4 (Choreography – 4 Key) with Perfect chance. Practice with the metronome for about 1-2 minutes before playing any songs each game. After that you write down on the excel spread sheet I created of your HIGHEST achieved perfect and HIGHEST achieved chain.

Next is play these list of songs I have recommended, these songs are MADE for purely Audition purpose so they’re excellent to use. They are absolutely perfect to practice as the beats is very obvious and clear. I placed them on an excel spreadsheet so fill in your performance per game and watch your improvement annually every day. However you can input your own songs in the list that you find individually you perform well on. That will be INFINITELY better than any of my own songs suggested. My list is set for those who cannot find any songs that they can perform well on their own as it is the universal songs that everyone can perform well on.

NOTE****: I recommend playing on the same BPM consistently per day. So for example if you played 130 bpm, you should stay in 130 BGM to keep your body consistently adapted to 130 BPM. Try your best not to switch around. And to make sure to always use the metronome method before playing the song to be more in tune with the song.

EXCEL SPREAD SHEET HERE:
    Here

Tape in Perfect Bar

This method only works for some players but not all. I’ve mentioned before that understanding the rhythm and tempo is the most important and only awareness to perfect bar is king in terms of emphasis of value.

Just simple toggle on Practice mode, and place a tape/mark on your desktop to identify where the perfect line exactly hits.

Rob1n’s Enhance Bass Method

Most rhythm songs on Audition beats is from the bass. So you can edit your mixer or download a separate program to enhance the bass to perfect better.
    Excellent guide to enhancing your Audio Mixer here(Window 7 and Window 8): https://youtu.be/goJaoT9zP1k

Last edited by Ruby; 11-15-2017, 03:02 AM.
    sigpic
    LoL: Alphard l Neopets: Miyabiii
    I love Matt Turtle ♥

COMPUTER

FPS

Most of you should at least operate in 120 FPS or so. Playable FPS is 60. Anything below I highly recommend to upgrade your computer. Luckily there is a good thread that offers PC setups and PC advice on how to build a computer as CHEAP as possible that can run Audition.
    How to check FPS: CTRL + ALT + F when youíre on Audition.
    Link:
    here

Make sure to also turn off your vsync

Note: If you are with ATI Radeon, you have to use a separate program to force your vsync to be turned off. I recommend using this program here: Here
    Official English download link here: Here
    A guide to using ATI: Here

Keyboards

Mechanical keyboards are recommended. There are plenty of excellent resources for keyboards. I personally picked mine up second hand at my local neighbourhood. I wouldnít prioritize this but its feels excellent to have mechanical keyboard instead of some boot legged one.

About me: Iím Alphard and I have been playing Audition since 2009. This is my first guide on this game so Iím happy to hear criticism on what I can do to make these guides better and easier to interpret for those wishing to learn to play. That said, you are free to whisper/inbox me INGAME and on forums for any questions you may have of the game.

Thank You
    I wanna thank from the bottom of my heart for these people helping me make this guide:
    Wayonaise: Thank you for looking it over and making sure the quality of the information is correct and giving me the motivation to finish this guide LOL.
    Arielle: Thanks for giving me your input about using tape, as well as letting me know my guide was actually too wordy. Appreciate your time in looking over my draft
    Leebyn: Thank you for contributing some of the parts of the guide I had over looked. A lot of the information here is also from Leebyn as he also accumulated vast amount of knowledge for this game.
    Daisy: Thank you for putting this guide on Audition Facebook, it means a lot to me and having you also look over my guide making sure that everything in the content is agreeable.
    Rob1n: Thank you for giving me this Enhance Bass guide, I would have never entertained its existence if it werenít for you. That entire section I owe it to you.
    Silt: Thank you Kez :^) for making Audition a memorable experience, youíre my favorite baked potato.
    Last edited by Ruby; 11-15-2017, 02:32 AM.
    sigpic
    I love Matt Turtle ♥

Comment

reserved for more crap
      sigpic
      I love Matt Turtle ♥

Comment

and maybe i want this one too O_O who knows
        sigpic
        I love Matt Turtle ♥

Comment

Just letting you know, Using ATI Tray tools or any External program for RADEON cards X-Traps you now.
          Most of the Radeon Drivers x-trap you now. Only the latest doesn't X-Trap you.
          okbye

Comment

• Reproductive
            Reproductive commented
            Editing a comment
            It depends on what driver you have. If you have the same Crimson driver i have (17.7.7 i believe) it x-traps you.
            This driver is the latest one that works with Overwatch with my card so thats why i have it. Latest one crashes the game upon boot.

• Ruby
            Ruby commented
            Editing a comment
            Will be noted for the Redbana tech team. That is unusual.

• Noden
            Noden commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm using radeon and I use ATI Tray Tools, it works fine for me, however the program is a ****ing mess, if you don't have windows 7 it all goes to **** and I had to blue screen like 30 times to get that program fixed up in my new computer, I have crimson 17.11.1.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OCg7WXc.gif
Views:	1
Size:	491.5 KB
ID:	19695

good job bb

daibetes x alkhurma // j.y.

Comment

• Ruby
            Ruby commented
            Editing a comment
            thank you daisu

Originally posted by Ruby View Post
          [NOTE****: EQ/surround sound programs such as Razer Surround will introduce significant audio lag or simply using a discrete sound card vs. on board audio will change the "perfect" timing due to the small variances in latency. Also applies for USB sound cards (including USB headphones with built in EQ/Surround effects). Not all will cause problems, but worth considering if you have trouble hitting perfect. Equalizers should generally be ok, mixers can also add latency.
          Wow I never even thought about this LOL .......... WELP..

daibetes x alkhurma // j.y.

Comment

Thank you for writing about how to improve in game, a lot of people struggle with this, so i think this is really helpful! ♥

u da best

Comment

• Ruby
              Ruby commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks way0

JENNIFER

oatty
            x
            Genuine

Comment

adopted kids work the hardest

Comment

• Ruby
                Ruby commented
                Editing a comment
                ya well hopefully dad will love me more than you after this lmfao

Great guide and tips 👌🏾. 👀 I havenít used the space bar in years to perfect LOL. I just use the alt key :P.

Comment

• Daisy
                Daisy commented
                Editing a comment
                Eep. that's toxic.

• Random
                Random commented
                Editing a comment
                LMAO hehe ever since I started two handing here and there I got used to doing it that way. Even then I feel like the alt key has more control than the space bar for me QQ.

Great job J3n!! It's going to help lots of players
              2008-2016 | @FantocheAzul

Comment

• Ruby
                Ruby commented
                Editing a comment
                te he ty marcinoo

Great guide
              You can use the Metronome from Google https://www.google.com/search?q=metronome
              Last edited by Sem; 11-25-2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• Daisy
                Daisy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the metronome!!Q

• Sem
                Sem commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome

When you say to practice at a consistent X BPM, won't I only solely improve at X BPM and not when it comes to other BPMs?

Also, I'm counting the beats--1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. My question is do I press ctrl when I'm saying ei- in my head, or when I say eigh-, or eight. (I'm not sure if this makes any sense). In other words, do I press in the beginning of that one beat or after some short delay.

Comment

• Myu
                Myu commented
                Editing a comment
                personally, i think it's good to start playing fairly fast bpms once you get the 120 bpms down. i noticed that once i can play fast bpms, it's much easier to input keys + space at the right time in slower/avg bpms (120~140). just me tho

• Ruby
                Ruby commented
                Editing a comment
                As Myu said, if you wanna learn bpm memorization it's generally best to move from highest speeds to lower speeds as when you're muscle memory is used to 140 bpm you'll have less struggle with 120 bpm. That's the whole point of the C4 routine in fact because it removes the aspects of key input and focus entirely on music if you aren't good at key input at all.

Generally, you will be more consistent on certain bpms after a lot of practice. But that doesn't mean practicing 130 bpm will make you unable to play 125 bpm. You will improve on playing 125 bpm but not at the same rate as when you practice 125 bpm ( if that makes sense ) Dx.

And for the second question, it goes back to understanding rhythm and your tempo. I can't really answer when at the "eighth" that you will ctrl. because how you react to when you say the eighth to what's happening to your screen is all independent to yourself as an individual and whatever computer you're operating.

I recommend practicing with the metronome video as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd_Z...ature=youtu.be . The question you're looking for isn't when to press ctrl, it's where the rhythm is in the 8th beat.The metronome guide that I introduced helps you be intuned to the music and from your computer to YOU specifically.

TL;DR: Only you can answer when to ctrl at the eighth and by figuring out when is through the metronome video which my guide also thoroughly explains the mechanics of it.

Sorry I hope I answered your question feel free to ask more of whisper me ingame if what I said didn't make sense..
            Working...
            X