Increase your screen refresh rate (Hz) for more fps in window mode - Redbana Forums

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Increase your screen refresh rate (Hz) for more fps in window mode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increase your screen refresh rate (Hz) for more fps in window mode

Hello!!!
    In this guide I will show you how to increase your screen Hz rate from 60Hz up to 100Hz at a native resolution. I've tried this on a acer monitor and managed to make my display refresh at 72/80Hz, which is better than the stock clock (mine is 60hz) of the built in monitor.
    Just for your notice, since this was done using the Nvidia Control Panel, it should be applicable to a wide variety of hardware, but depending of the publishers and quality of materials of the hardware, the +20Hz I got may not be achievable to everyone.
    This is very helpful if you get only 60 FPS in Window Mode.

Step 1:

Right-click on your Desktop, open the Nvidia Control Panel and navigate to the "Adjust desktop size and position" menu.
    Then click on the "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" checkbox and apply the changes =)

Step 2:

Navigate to the "Change resolution" menu and click the "Customize..." button.

Step 3:

On the window that just opened for you, click the "Enable resolutions not exposed by the display" check box, and click on the "Create Custom Resolution..." button. =)

Step 4:

Enter the desired value 80 (in my case) in the "Refresh rate (Hz):" field. And then click the "Test" button =).

Step 5:

Now here is when you understand if it will work or not. If it works, your display will flash and it will turn back on with the following message:

If it doesn't work(... would be sad right) your display will stay dark. But don't worry, it will go back the old settings after 20 seconds and it will turn on again. For it to work you have to experiment and see what Hz is your monitor is capable of displaying.

Step 6:

Once everything is done, click the "OK" button and the custom profile will be created.

Step 7:

Go back to the "Change resolution" menu in the Nvidia Control Panel, click on the newly created profile what we did before and hit "Apply".

That was all.
    If everything was working properly you should get more than 60 fps in window mode.
    If you have any questions just ask it here!!

Last edited by Jxkup; 11-09-2017, 03:35 PM. Reason: *edited stuff
    lol

Would you need a 80 HZ monitor for this?
    sighs

Comment

Noden No it's just Overclocking your Display.

Comment

• Noden
        Noden commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh wait, I'm dumb, he's using resolutions not exposed by the display LOL.

• Sem
        Sem commented
        Editing a comment
        He change the Refresh rate from the Display. 60 > 80 Hz

Noden Noden Well you can overclock your monitor refresh rate to get more than 60 fps in window mode. Like if you have a monitor with 60 mhz and playing in window mode you can overclock the refresh rate.
      lol

Comment

Tho it's not much it might work but, honestly if you have IPS display this won't work. Only TN/possibly VA monitor. (Planning to work on monitor buying guide soon)

HDMI won't benefit from overclocking monitor because it is hardware limited just to note you guys!

If you have DVI/DP this will really improve your smoothness of the game

I am a leader, not a God. But a Goddess
        c.

Comment

Working...
        X