Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AFK Rooms are becoming the bane of this game's existence.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFK Rooms are becoming the bane of this game's existence.

Hello all, I know I just created this forum account so my words might not have much weight (what can I say? I'm shy,) but I'm seeing this get worse and worse every time I log into the game, and I'm not the only one who's been tired of it/quit over it in the past.

Yes, new players come in and out like wildfire, as if this is McDonalds and the players are the employees, turnover is becoming a regularly expected thing for this community, and we allll know where that leads to for an online game, especially an aged one like this one. Our big happy server gets a big ol throat punch and an unplug.

In the eight times I've played this game off and on, from back when it was thriving in mid-to-late 2007 and I was a wee lil' 11 year old lying about my age on the internet, I've noticed that there's a trend that only gets more and more widespread, AFK rooms. I'm absolutely sick of people saying there's nothing to do about it, no way to stop it. It's toxic and it's actively driving new players away. Old/Social only players hoarding channel space for AFK rooms are becoming a norm that you expect to see the second you log in to the second you log out.

I don't give a flying chicken wing if you want to have an AFK room, but for frickle-frackle sake why in Channel 1 of all places? That's a channel that should be dedicated to actively playing people, who actually want to experience the game. New players quit rapidly because there's no way for them to play the game and enjoy it.

There's four things I can think of to get this seemingly harmless habit situated:
    1. A dedicated channel/page of channels for people who plan to AFK.​We all know that channel 1 is as full as it gets and there's eighteen normal channels available, and I know the developers are capable of changing the topic of channels because of the guitar channel (I'm looking at you, "There's nothing we can do" whiners),
    2. A feature to allow someone to report an afk room (If it is public and/or on the wrong channel if the above method were to be put into place.)

Obviously this one would be a pickle just because there would have to be some sort of way to verify that the person who is afking is truly afk. I'm going to say the most efficient way of doing this would be to send a notification to the center of the DJ's screen to verify that they are indeed at their keyboard. Either that or a voting system where the players in the room vote to kick the DJ. I think that would be wonderful for public AFK rooms where, while you sit there readied to boot the AFK DJ, people room hop in and back out and ruin your last 40 seconds of sitting there readied to kick the DJ.

(These next two are super unrealistic but still worth shooting for future reference)
    3. A couple of dedicated moderators to do the booting for us.

I know there are moderators here, more than 6 people have to be working on this game I'm sure, If at least one person at a time combed through the list of rooms for just 20 minutes the channel would be cleared of useless AFK rooms. Don't act like it's unrealistic, because if they're truly AFK they ain't coming back for at least a LITTLE while.
    4. (The worst suggestion of all that I actually DON'T want in place; ) Banning players who actively AFK in the wrong places/wrong rooms.

This is the option I would hate the most to be instilled but I think desperate times call for desperate measures. Let's be realistic for one minute here, bear with me here when I say this:

This is actively killing the community. New players don't have a place to go to play the game they were advertised, instead they wallow around looking for an actively playing room, or they make their own room only to sit in an empty room until a miracle happens 20 minutes later and someone shows up, only to bounce.

Obviously I don't want to see people getting banned, especially permanently, but if the above suggestions can't even be implemented within the next year.. I just don't know how long I can see this game lasting. As far as it's gone without anything being done, I'm surprised the game is even up at all any more, all because players abuse the system to the ground.
    Anyway that's my input and I'm sticking to it, I know most of the players AFK for what they think are good reasons, and they may even be mentioned after I post this, so let me just give you some good alternatives to your possible rebuttals
    • "But Jissy!! How else will we see our PMs unless we go to a room?? What if I don't want to play but I still want to talk???"

Go to channel 10+ and invite your friends there to hang with you that you want to talk to like the old days when this game had a somewhat stable community and a somewhat decent amount of sensibility/rationality.
    • "But Jissy!! How about gift boxes?!"

See first bullet
    • "But Jissy!! What if people abuse the AFK-DJ room kicking/reporting system?!"

Developers are smart, Smart people can think of ways to go around things. That's why I mentioned the possibility of a voting system so that the whole room can cast a vote to keep things rational.
    • "But Jissy!!!!!!!!! I don't like change "

Sorry but that's just life, bucko, and if you want to see this game grow back to a thriving experience, maybe this is just the way things oughta be.
    TL;DR: Basically I love this game, I'm sure most of you do too otherwise you wouldn't log in every/almost every day. I'm sure we can all agree that this game could use some refinement in the way our community works. Habits are hard to change, but damn it we love this game. Let's keep it alive, let's do something about this problem.

Any contributive thoughts on how we can all come together to solve this problem/work around what the AFKers want would be amazing!

I'd love to reiterate, I don't hate AFK-ing. I've done it myself, but when I do, I'm mindful of others. I make sure to leave CH1. I make sure it's a private room. I make sure to say in the title "Gone for ____", "Brb", "Back in ____ minutes/hour(s)" etc etc., I'd be a hypocrite if I shunned these people. But PLEASE. If no changes can be made, can we all at least agree it's killing our precious Audi and something needs to be done?

Thank you for reading this far if you have! I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your day
    Last edited by Jissy; 04-25-2017, 05:35 AM.

Thought of a great way to benefit this too.
    An AFK Channel, In the AFK channel, half of the time is taken out for the boxes
    95% of the time I'm on though, the channel isn't even full.
    Remember, this community has a fantasy with room numbers. If it's one, a number they like, or 69, they're keeping it.
    That moderator would want some $$$ for this job.

Even if this works, people in the end will just complain as always either way and find ways around it.
    Seems more ideal than realistic. However opinions are meant to be shared with the community to improve. Maybe they'll take it into account if you're lucky.

I'm for the ideas, but there would have to be some trade offs
    Last edited by KawaiiHonoka; 04-25-2017, 08:27 AM.
    Come at me salty fanboys. IGNs:Dva/Ejaculator Am I a troll? Sometimes.
    B-Net ID: Parrot#11107 Origin: DevinMoney415 uPlay: ParrotsAreLife

Comment

Also there's other things you need to consider
      - Who's exactly going to moderate every player?
      - Is there a timer knowing how long someone's been AFK?
      - How would we know if they're truly AFK? They could always get out of AFK by barely moving their mouse on screen.
      - What exact countermeasures would be implemented?
      - Would the benefits be worth it for AFK channels?
      - What punishments would there actually be for going AFK?
      - If automated systems were put, how would they work?

There's just lots more to think about as well the company gotta put in that work.
      Come at me salty fanboys. IGNs:Dva/Ejaculator Am I a troll? Sometimes.
      B-Net ID: Parrot#11107 Origin: DevinMoney415 uPlay: ParrotsAreLife

Comment

make your own room then? lol
        <Royal-Humor>_________________________________________ _
        Allure & Cognac_____________________________________

Comment

Angie the best ! lol

XOXO Hanna <3

Comment

• Ruby
            Ruby commented
            Editing a comment
            angie IS the best

I'm sat here like. Yeah it's a good idea in practice but the problem is nobody wants to play 100~ bpm songs on C4. A lot of our community is older, and we have played a lot longer than most so of course we wont want to play those bpms. I mean, I occasionally join a newbie room to play with them, but it never seems fair to them to just wipe the floor with them. (dont mean to sound big headed).

If everyone who AFK'd left channel one the channel would probably have like five rooms within it. That'll put people off this game EVEN more.
          Xanthos 71 Sanctus; Nobody will ever bring me down again.

Comment

"I don't give a flying chicken wing if you want to have an AFK room, but for frickle-frackle sake why in Channel 1 of all places? That's a channel that should be dedicated to actively playing people, who actually want to experience the game. "

Do you make the rules of the game?
            sigpic

Comment

Or you know. Do what Audition Latino did and kick AFK people after a certain amount of time. (Automated system)

Comment

Originally posted by iRedrum View Post
                "I don't give a flying chicken wing if you want to have an AFK room, but for frickle-frackle sake why in Channel 1 of all places? That's a channel that should be dedicated to actively playing people, who actually want to experience the game. "

Do you make the rules of the game?

No, I don't, but I can tell that you don't care what it does to our community.

Comment

Originally posted by AngexAmazing View Post
                  make your own room then? lol

You know, I did mention this in my OP. New players do make rooms, even I make rooms since I still want to play (It just actually sucks playing without any EXP benefits, you know?), and it will always take at least 10 minutes to pick up, usually 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Jissy View Post

No, I don't, but I can tell that you don't care what it does to our community.
                    You're acting as like it's a cult and everyone needs to be together
                    Last edited by iRedrum; 04-26-2017, 03:05 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iRedrum View Post

You're acting as like it's a cult and everyone needs to be together

I appreciate the attitude check, but I do need to mention that even if everyone isn't "Together" as you state, we're still a community. Communities behave different than others and a culture forms.

It just so happens that we let AFK rooms get way out of hand and now it's what 60% of our playerbase does for absolutely no real reason other than socializing and spamming boxes (even though you can buy those from the shop so what to heck??)

Comment

• Reproductive
                        Reproductive commented
                        Editing a comment
                        They afk for Coupons to buy perm items.
                        Then afk again to get coupons. Afkdition.

Originally posted by Jissy View Post

I appreciate the attitude check, but I do need to mention that even if everyone isn't "Together" as you state, we're still a community. Communities behave different than others and a culture forms.

It just so happens that we let AFK rooms get way out of hand and now it's what 60% of our playerbase does for absolutely no real reason other than socializing and spamming boxes (even though you can buy those from the shop so what to heck??)
                      Way out of hand? How do you suggest they handle it? Ban them?
                      sigpic

Comment

• Jissy
                        Jissy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Did you read my post??

There's four things I can think of to get this seemingly harmless habit situated:

​1. A dedicated channel/page of channels for people who plan to AFK.​We all know that channel 1 is as full as it gets and there's eighteen normal channels available, and I know the developers are capable of changing the topic of channels because of the guitar channel (I'm looking at you, "There's nothing we can do" whiners),

2. A feature to allow someone to report an afk room (If it is public and/or on the wrong channel if the above method were to be put into place.)

Obviously this one would be a pickle just because there would have to be some sort of way to verify that the person who is afking is truly afk. I'm going to say the most efficient way of doing this would be to send a notification to the center of the DJ's screen to verify that they are indeed at their keyboard. Either that or a voting system where the players in the room vote to kick the DJ. I think that would be wonderful for public AFK rooms where, while you sit there readied to boot the AFK DJ, people room hop in and back out and ruin your last 40 seconds of sitting there readied to kick the DJ.

(These next two are super unrealistic but still worth shooting for future reference)

3. A couple of dedicated moderators to do the booting for us.

I know there are moderators here, more than 6 people have to be working on this game I'm sure, If at least one person at a time combed through the list of rooms for just 20 minutes the channel would be cleared of useless AFK rooms. Don't act like it's unrealistic, because if they're truly AFK they ain't coming back for at least a LITTLE while.

4. (The worst suggestion of all that I actually DON'T want in place; ) Banning players who actively AFK in the wrong places/wrong rooms.

This is the option I would hate the most to be instilled but I think desperate times call for desperate measures. Let's be realistic for one minute here, bear with me here when I say this:

I like to think what sets me apart from a lot of other people who just whine about people who AFK, I actually have some thoughts on how we could fix it, if the devs or mods see this post.

Just ignore iRedrum he hasn't logged on in about six years so his opinions are invalid to the game.
                      Xanthos 71 Sanctus; Nobody will ever bring me down again.

Comment

Originally posted by Alei View Post
                        Just ignore iRedrum he hasn't logged on in about six years so his opinions are invalid to the game.

Honestly what I'm curious about is how people seem to really not want to do anything about it, what good comes out of always AFKing if it's just to exploit the game? And when I say that obviously I'm not targeting people who use it to socialize, but it would be nice if they would do it mindfully. Maybe at least in a private room on a channel that doesn't already have so many AFK rooms.

Comment

Working...
                        X